Leopard tortoise health certificate?

crice

I was reading on the reptile magazine website that leopards are supposed to come with a health certificate, we'll mine never did. Does anyone know if it's a law? And if it is what exactly is the law? Some say Cali doesn't have to, then some say as Long as it's sold Cali to Cali it's okay?

Let me know!!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
It is a federal state law that isn't specific to any one state. Hardly anybody does the health certificate and don't worry that yours didn't come with one...doesn't mean your tortoise isn't healthy. Actually most people don't realize that this law applies to all animals...if you travel with your dog or cat across states lines, you are required by law to get a health certificate and carry in your car...but who does that really. I do know that Cali have increased their 4 inch law and are actually really checking packages and sending them back to shipper if its not followed correctly. That's another story though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The health certificate is only if the tortoise is shipped across state lines. It's very easy to get one. Just take the tortoise to the vet. He will be looking for ticks. It costs you for the vet visit, but the certificate doesn't cost anything.