UK cites certificate and microchipping advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
I am a little unsure about this certificate i have for Alfie. It's a yellow cites certificate saying that she is captive bred and does not exceed 100mm. The name in the top left of the certificate is the name of the shop i got her from...

So, in box 20 it says " This certificate is only valid for the holder in box 1. This certificate is valid untill the tortoise reches a plastoral length of 100mm, when the speciimen must be microchipped and a new certificate applied for".

So the questions; How do i go about this? Do i really need to get her micro chipped to keep with the licence? What happens if i just dont do it? Will it change the certificate to have my name on and not the pet shop? If some animal person comes to my house and my name isn't on the certificate will they take the tortoise away??

Sorry if this is such an obvious question, but i am just confused!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Nothing about DEFRA and Article 10's is obvious :p

To go about getting a new certificate, you have to contact DEFRA. I do believe they have forms on their website you can print out, fill in and send to them to get everything changed. How big is Alfie? You don't have to get the certificate in your name, unless you are selling Alfie or breeding Alfie. No, no one can take Alfie away just because your name isn't on the article 10. But it does help to eventually get a permanent certificate once Alfie is over 100mm in your name and that entails getting Alfie microchipped.

Danny

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Alfie is now 88mm and 108g in weight, i weighed and lengthed her three days ago. I was looking at her weight and length chart and realised she has gained 1cm since September, and so in another 6-8 weeks i assume will pretty much be 100mm and hence the certificate comes into play!

I dont envisage on either selling or breeding Alfie, but you never know what could change or happen in the meantime. Will the microchipping hurt? And is it expensive? Have people actually had wandering tortoises returned because of the microchip?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It shouldn't hurt to bad :) Depending on the vet around 25 pounds, could be a bit more or less than that. Yes people's tortoises have been returned to them because of having been microchipped.

Danny

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Ok, thanks for that. I had a look at www.ukcites.gov.uk, which according to the site and my certifcate is where to aquire a new one. It is £25 for a reissued certificate after the microchipping. Perhaps it's something i should sort out after she gains a bit more length. I dont understand why they make you pay so much for a piece of paper though, plus the micro chipping its expensive buisness!

Will be trecking the 40 mile journey to fetch a spare UVB light strip to the reptile shop sometime this week, so will find out what the deal is with where they get their tortoises microchipped...

S

stells

Any vet should be able to microchip... although i personally would wait until he is a little bigger than 10cm....

When i took 3 of mine it was around £22 each... the chip goes in the back leg.... and i had no problems with any of mine....

Status
Not open for further replies.