Leopard Tort House

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I recently moved my 3 juvenile Leopard tortoises outside, full time. They just turned 2 years old this month and range from 6"-8".

This past year, they were spending the days outside but I would bring them in each evening to sleep in a humid chamber.

Well, I was ready (and they were ready) to make the move!! I've spent the past few weeks enlarging their yard and tweaking their house. I lined the plywood floor with some vinyl tiles and put in a coco coir/ top soil mix for the substrate. I'm trying to keep their house moderately humid to see if that helps them stay smooth.

When I set up this house for them in the past, I was using hay for bedding. They were starting to grow a little bumpy, so I stopped using the house and went back to using a humid chamber at night.

This house is 2'x4'x2' tall. It's fully insulated with 1.5" rigid foam insulation. Caulked, weather stripping, the works!
I use a mini oil filled radiator set on a thermostat for heat. I know I'll need to build the 4'x8' house size as my group of leos grow, so I knew this radiator would be used long term.

219c95k.jpg

23r4b2s.jpg

b3lwmt.jpg

34pgemx.jpg

29ek6x1.jpg

ffd2jt.jpg

wi0wsm.jpg

This just shows one stretch of their L shaped yard. I'm letting that center patch of grass and weeds grow really thick and tall on purpose! I water that area very well and it makes for a nice, warm and humid hiding spot!
23w8nq8.jpg

See, he wants to run back into the bush
20ka9t5.jpg

They are doing great going in and out of the house on their own. In fact, they love their entire yard. These 3 have about 250sq ft.... I need to re measure but I think it was about that.

I was a bit nervous not having the house under a covering but Tom, I'm taking your word for it that the house will be ok :p

I'm curious to see what will happen with them. Will they hit a growth spurt? Will their growth slow? Will they still have smooth new growth or not?
Time will tell.

But I can tell you that as of right now, THEY LOVE LIVING OUTSIDE!! :D :tort: :cool:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Heather, please take caution, in the summer months folks will occasionally catch a sighting of the elusive painted five toe...I see one right in front of the house doorway....move away slowly ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOL, I also spotted what ascott seen, caution:p :D. The house looks great and so do your torts. I bet they are going to have a ball being outside 24/7. I'm sure the house will be fine too, you know Tom wouldn't steer ya wrong:D. Not on purpose anyway:D

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
That's awesome Heather. I will be working on a outdoor enclosure from my young leopards this weekend(hopefully). It I'm that lucky I will take some pics for TFO. Your leopards are looking awesome ;)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Very nice heather! Very nice indeed! So I have plans to make a mobile day pen for the trio this weekend. It's going to be 6x3ft. 6in tall, and the top will have chicken wire stapled to the top. So I'm wondering how well this mobile unit will work? I plan to move it around based on where weeds might be popping up or on a shaded side of the house...mobility to suit various needs. One possible problem may be uneven ground, presenting an escape route. I plan to nestle it into the grass and check the perimeter thoroughly to eliminate that problem. Do you think this unit will work?
I of course could build them a same size more permanent planter out of the same materials instead. Thoughts?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use those moveable type pens for the tiny babies sometimes. But yes, uneven ground will provide an escape. Happened to me once and praise Jesus the baby was found in about a minute.

I still have a dedicated enclosure for them though. I suggest you do the same since you have 3. Build a 10x10 and set it up as a permanent outdoor space. You can still occasionally use a moveable frame to offer them some variety in different areas.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice you did a great job! I'm building Harry a good ole red neck cement pond . I am going to build harry a new house soon . So dozer can take over Harry's old enclosure. This Iis going to be a busy summer .

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Nice you did a great job! I'm building Harry a good ole red neck cement pond . I am going to build harry a new house soon . So dozer can take over Harry's old enclosure. This Iis going to be a busy summer .

Mike, have you done the cement pond yet?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Heather
Using the damp coco coir inside the house has worked very nicely :) It keeps nice and humid! Too bad I didn't do it this way from the start!

15xaaok.jpg

I am totally stalking old threads...

Heather, how is your tile holding up? I think I remember reading it as vinyl...(?) I love this idea and would like to copy it for Tuleo.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes, I used vinyl flooring, the kind with sticky backing. Just peeled the paper and plop it into place! Of course, I caulked all the edges for extra protection since this is in a tort house LOL

It's still just as good as it was when I first laid it! No peeling up, no damage, no mold issues...It's just dandy!

Here are some updated photos:

2015-07-08_15.31.54.jpg

2015-07-08_15.28.17.jpg

Hope this helps. I absolutely LOVE this house. I think everyone should have one.. Hehe :cool:

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Yes, I used vinyl flooring, the kind with sticky backing. Just peeled the paper and plop it into place! Of course, I caulked all the edges for extra protection since this is in a tort house LOL

It's still just as good as it was when I first laid it! No peeling up, no damage, no mold issues...It's just dandy!

Here are some updated photos:

View attachment 147560

View attachment 147561

Hope this helps. I absolutely LOVE this house. I think everyone should have one.. Hehe :cool:

This helps a LOT! We are going to be moving someplace colder (with real seasons) and I have been thinking of a large shed (heated) with this made inside it for sleeps. I am in the gathering info stage but really think you hit the nail on the head in regards to keeping humidity up. Thank you my dear!! You rock!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If I move and re- do things (I'm in Oregon now, a seasonal place with cold winters) I plan to have a large greenhouse and use this heated house inside of that. That should allow for good outside time on cold winter days and this heated house will work fine for nights.