Lentals?????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are peas in one of the seed mixes I use. They eat the leaves and stems too. I also use greens beans and I grow my own alfalfa. Legumes are a good way to get some much needed protein into our tortoises and can make up a small percentage of the diet on a regular basis.

I've never used lentils, but it seems like they would be similar to other legumes.

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
You will get different advice on this. Your tortoise is captive bred, I think?, and used to what she was raised on in the pet shop. I don't know how that will impact her sense of food. @Tom or others who raise and feed captive bred tortoises will have better advice.

My tortoise is wild caught and has four or five years of eating a native diet that was appropriate and safe. But does she eat it because it's safe or because she's used to it? I have never seen her eat anything that is "bad" for her, more than a small bite. But she also refuses some foods that are safe, if they are unfamiliar. Of the weeds and such that grow wild in the yard, she only is interested in the ones that come from the "old" world, not the "new." She does eat one weed that is considered unsafe by some but is found in her natural habitat (bindweed) and is part of the wild tortoise diet.

She does love nasturtiums, they must be too delicious to pass up! I would definitely plant some, they are so easy to grow. :)
Hi Rosemary
I have been busy (except for a 3 hours siesta). As you say she is captive bread and as far as I know had AA limited diet so before I introduce new food I will check with you on this thread. The advice I am getting is essential because people I know from Venezuela, Tenerife, Spain and UK all day they eat anything fruit and vegetables. Needless to say they don't actually have tourtouses. I have planted 2 trays of radishes that should be ready at the end of the month. I have also planted nasturtiums that grow quickly. Tomorrow I will get 2 more identical trays so I can harvest as the next ones are growing.
I've used 7 plastic bottles and cut the bottoms off to grow the mustard sprouts so again when I use one I can sprinkle some more seeds in and rotate them. I will up it to 10 when I have more bottles so I will have a daily supply
I went to the supermarket and got gourmet salad she has already been tucking into that.
In the enclosure is will put a plastic tray under the soil so when I pot growing plants in they will be easier to replace. Now I just have to wait for things to grow. I want everything yesterday but you can't hurry nature or Freda.
Last night was her first night outside and I think she preferred it
Later I will bath her because it's been so hot. I have decking over the top of her remporary rabbit hutch so she has light and shade plus the Canarian Palm that's quite big and gives intermittent shade. Ian the moment we have dry hot wind from Africa but that has changed this evening and I think it could go down to 18 that's about 65ish she has her hide though I think she prefers the natural air and breeze outside. Thanks Rosemary for the help and honest if you are not Sue about something. I hope you realise how much reassurance and benefit I'm getting from you genuine helpful uncomplicated advice. Bye for now Mark Tenerife

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
Hi Rosemary
I have been busy (except for a 3 hours siesta). As you say she is captive bread and as far as I know had AA limited diet so before I introduce new food I will check with you on this thread. The advice I am getting is essential because people I know from Venezuela, Tenerife, Spain and UK all day they eat anything fruit and vegetables. Needless to say they don't actually have tourtouses. I have planted 2 trays of radishes that should be ready at the end of the month. I have also planted nasturtiums that grow quickly. Tomorrow I will get 2 more identical trays so I can harvest as the next ones are growing.
I've used 7 plastic bottles and cut the bottoms off to grow the mustard sprouts so again when I use one I can sprinkle some more seeds in and rotate them. I will up it to 10 when I have more bottles so I will have a daily supply
I went to the supermarket and got gourmet salad she has already been tucking into that.
In the enclosure is will put a plastic tray under the soil so when I pot growing plants in they will be easier to replace. Now I just have to wait for things to grow. I want everything yesterday but you can't hurry nature or Freda.
Last night was her first night outside and I think she preferred it
Later I will bath her because it's been so hot. I have decking over the top of her remporary rabbit hutch so she has light and shade plus the Canarian Palm that's quite big and gives intermittent shade. Ian the moment we have dry hot wind from Africa but that has changed this evening and I think it could go down to 18 that's about 65ish she has her hide though I think she prefers the natural air and breeze outside. Thanks Rosemary for the help and honest if you are not Sue about something. I hope you realise how much reassurance and benefit I'm getting from you genuine helpful uncomplicated advice. Bye for now Mark Tenerife
Oh the spell check has really messed that up but I'm sure you can decipher it

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
There are peas in one of the seed mixes I use. They eat the leaves and stems too. I also use greens beans and I grow my own alfalfa. Legumes are a good way to get some much needed protein into our tortoises and can make up a small percentage of the diet on a regular basis.

I've never used lentils, but it seems like they would be similar to other legumes.
Hi Tom. Good to hear from you love your tourtouse makes Freda look a bit rough and ready. You can probably see I have been busy planting today and will get a rotation of crops (forgot carrots). She didn't seem to like the peas. I'm going to try to get clover and dandelion seeds we only have them in the national park here and can't take them from the wild. I will try her again with some green beans so she gets as much variety as possible (unlike me who loves pizza and chocolate, not at the sane time ). Bye for now and I must stop looking at all the other tourtouses 1 is certainly enough for me!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

This is very helpful Tom. I've seen you say before you give your tortoises some protein from legumes. Do you have a narrower definition of "small" percentage? Addy (my tortoise) gets exposed to some, mostly based on what I've read in your prior posts about Russians. She's never wanted more than a couple of bites. Not clovers, not pea plants, not alfalfa. She enjoyed some flowers and seed pods from lupines this year, that's about it. Maybe I should try harder?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is very helpful Tom. I've seen you say before you give your tortoises some protein from legumes. Do you have a narrower definition of "small" percentage? Addy (my tortoise) gets exposed to some, mostly based on what I've read in your prior posts about Russians. She's never wanted more than a couple of bites. Not clovers, not pea plants, not alfalfa. She enjoyed some flowers and seed pods from lupines this year, that's about it. Maybe I should try harder?

I think 10-15% of the days food, once or twice a week is beneficial.

I think a whole meal of legumes 4 times a week would be too much.

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
You will get different advice on this. Your tortoise is captive bred, I think?, and used to what she was raised on in the pet shop. I don't know how that will impact her sense of food. @Tom or others who raise and feed captive bred tortoises will have better advice.

My tortoise is wild caught and has four or five years of eating a native diet that was appropriate and safe. But does she eat it because it's safe or because she's used to it? I have never seen her eat anything that is "bad" for her, more than a small bite. But she also refuses some foods that are safe, if they are unfamiliar. Of the weeds and such that grow wild in the yard, she only is interested in the ones that come from the "old" world, not the "new." She does eat one weed that is considered unsafe by some but is found in her natural habitat (bindweed) and is part of the wild tortoise diet.

She does love nasturtiums, they must be too delicious to pass up! I would definitely plant some, they are so easy to grow. :)
RosemaryDW I gave her the gourmet salad (you said they tend to like the bitter selection) she has eaten 2 plate fulls today alone and NO BROCCOLI she was munching on a hibiscus flower the last time I saw her eating now she has retreated to her hide and is digging about in there. I may bath her later and keep her in tonight just to be sure se isn't dehydrated
Mind you there would have been a lot of water in the salad so maybe she won't need it. On second thoughts I will leave her today she seems happy and active. Bye for now

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

This is where things get confusing: some say "legumes are no good" and others that "they are good". The way I see it is: if it is a PLANT, and not containing some toxic stuff (i.e. alkaloids that will slow down heart rate or shut down the immune system, etc) and you are confident that your pet tort is getting WIDE VARIETY of foods, making the greens of legumes small part of this VERY DIVERSE DIET is not going to hurt anything, to contrary, it may fill in some nutritional gaps with adding little extra protein and such. That's the reason why I like adding a bit of commercial tort diet to my tortie feedings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is where things get confusing: some say "legumes are no good" and others that "they are good". The way I see it is: if it is a PLANT, and not containing some toxic stuff (i.e. alkaloids that will slow down heart rate or shut down the immune system, etc) and you are confident that your pet tort is getting WIDE VARIETY of foods, making the greens of legumes small part of this VERY DIVERSE DIET is not going to hurt anything, to contrary, it may fill in some nutritional gaps with adding little extra protein and such. That's the reason why I like adding a bit of commercial tort diet to my tortie feedings.

The legumes-are-no-good thing comes from the old days when people thought that the protein in our captive diets caused pyramiding. Protein of any kind or any amount became a villain. Manufacturers changed the formulas of their prepared foods because focus groups of tortoise owners said they wouldn't buy anything with a protein content higher than 10%. This led Richard Fife to the conclusion that at least some captive tortoises were protein deficient.

We now know that protein is not the enemy. We now know that tortoises need some protein in their diet. We now know that good hydration is the key to preventing any protein related issues. And we now know that protein does NOT cause pyramiding.

Pearly

5 Year Member
The legumes-are-no-good thing comes from the old days when people thought that the protein in our captive diets caused pyramiding. Protein of any kind or any amount became a villain. Manufacturers changed the formulas of their prepared foods because focus groups of tortoise owners said they wouldn't buy anything with a protein content higher than 10%. This led Richard Fife to the conclusion that at least some captive tortoises were protein deficient.

We now know that protein is not the enemy. We now know that tortoises need some protein in their diet. We now know that good hydration is the key to preventing any protein related issues. And we now know that protein does NOT cause pyramiding.
Mr Tom, thank you for that nugget of tort care wisdom. I love reading your informative posts and so appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge and expertise so freely with all of us on this forum. I also very much enjoy when you throw in the history behind the issues that are being discussed. I consider myself lucky to be able to learn from you Guys (you know who you are!) and thank you❤

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Me also, @Tom , that's great info.

Is that information clearly stated in the care sheets? There is a heavy (appropriate) focus on broadleaf weeds and grasses, a mention of calcium and vitamins, but I can't think of a protein suggestion. Maybe there should be? My interpretation of the "low protein, high fiber" diet has been "almost no protein" until today. I wonder if others have made a similar misinterpretation.

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
It is very confusing for a complete novice but it's great to hear the discussions and people's personal experiences. Now Freda is eating the mixed Salad and hibiscus flower I am happier but there is no way she will touch the pellets. I tried with a little water but no way will she eat it. Soon I will have the mustard sprouts for her they are growing but not very well and they are a bit sparse but it will add to the variety
When the builder hasn't made her proper enclosure I will be happier because I can plant real food.

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
I just have one concern that isn't related to the thread but Freda has had a great day sun food water. But now it's evening she is in the wooden hide and it sounds like she is biting the wood, like she is doing it with her mouth not her front legs. I don't want to disturb her to see what's going on but it just seems strange. Would she chew or scrape on wood to stop her beak growing to long she has never done it before. In the wild there is wood. CONFUSED

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don't know about chewing but mine makes a racket crawling up the walls of her night box, scratching and digging. It's amazing how much noise there is. We're somewhat used to it now but it still grabs my attention sometimes. "What are you doing in there?"

Freda is a beautiful tortoise and she'll be in a nice big space soon. I wouldn't worry too much about her beak. If you really feel uncomfortable, go ahead and check on her for a minute or two. I had my husband built our night box with a lid I could open; that's how often I wanted to check Addy. :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Ha! I have the door to the yard open right now and she just knocked herself on the gate so hard I jumped! I know exactly what she's doing but goodness she is LOUD for something so small.

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
Oh RosemaryDW thanks for the quick reply. She has stopped now I guess sleeping. I didn't want to disturb her because I want her hide to be her own safety comfortable place. The lid that opens is a great idea I can take a peep without bothering her. I'm more reassured now. Just a nervous new parent lol. Thanks again xx

Pearly

5 Year Member
I just have one concern that isn't related to the thread but Freda has had a great day sun food water. But now it's evening she is in the wooden hide and it sounds like she is biting the wood, like she is doing it with her mouth not her front legs. I don't want to disturb her to see what's going on but it just seems strange. Would she chew or scrape on wood to stop her beak growing to long she has never done it before. In the wild there is wood. CONFUSED
Haha, mine make lots of noise every night before going to bed in their hides. I call it "nesting", you know like a dog or cat walking around few times before he finally plops to sleep on a piece of clothing or something that they decide makes a perfect nesting material. I think it's a sign that Freda is very comfortable in her home, and not scared to do little "remodeling"