Won't come out except to eat???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A friend who I haven't seen for years now had his hatchlings placed back in their natural habitat by a conservation project
That's great. Hopefully he can continue with that.
There has been petitions out to stop the big chain pet stores from selling WC. I guess they haven't worked yet. That's what made me think they weren't still doing it.

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
That's great. Hopefully he can continue with that.
There has been petitions out to stop the big chain pet stores from selling WC. I guess they haven't worked yet. That's what made me think they weren't still doing it.
Yes that's why I was so surprised that there were Wild Caught pets. I can understand if their habitat is being destroyed and there is a network to save the various breeds. By the way I had no idea how many different breeds there are. They had a different type in the pet shop the other day but I have grown find of Freidas grumpy ways.
I have locked her out of her hide and it's working she is meandering about much more. I hope she starts to dig a bit her finger nails are getting long. I must see how long they should be and the other thing is the beak. It looks ok but I need to keep an eye on it. By the way I'm sorry about my spelling I'm dyslexic so sometimes although I can see something is spelt incorrectly I can't always figure out why. Sometimes can be quite funny. M x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your spelling is just fine, don't worry about it. Glad she's out and about. If you feed her on a piece of ruff tile or flat rock or even put some out in the enclosure for her to walk on and even put a treat on it, kinda smear it on, it will help keep nails and beak trimmed

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
Thanks Wellington 're spelling.
I can't believe how strong Frieda is she moved a heavy rock at least twice her size and at least 10 times her body weight. I love her determination if I had half of her determination I would be a millionaire by now.

I always put her food on various stones/slate that I have and try to put it in different areas so she has to look for it.

I just have another question, van you bond with a tortoise? I try not to handle her to much and really the only contact I have with her is when I give her food so she should only associate me with good things. I have bathed her and she looks about poops and isn't frightened, but when I call her she dosnt seem to be particularly happy to see me. I may rename her Miss Independent or Miss Ungrateful

Mark Tenerife

Tenerife
Freida just ate from my hand. A huge step forward in our relationship. Almost like a kiss on a first date. Well happy. Just got to take it very slowly and quietly:)