Lead in soil

LRobb88

5 Year Member
Does anyone have experience in building outdoor enclosures in polluted areas? I'm building one now and it just hit me that because of the flooding in this area during Katrina, the lead levels in the soil are very high in many places. For that reason they often recommend that gardens be built as raised beds rather than in the ground, etc.

I'd really like to avoid putting new soil and replanting or essentially doubling the height (and quadrupling the weight) of the enclosure by making it a large raised bed if I don't have to. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Logan

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My thought would be to lay down a barrier, like pond lining and then new soil on top of that. I personally would not want to risk lead poisoning in my torts.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Barb's idea is good. I would also bio-remediate with a layer of mulch - leaves, grass clippings, steer manure - under the pond lining so that (good) bacteria, mold and fungi can get to work to fix that soil for the future. Mulch does wonders. : )

LRobb88

5 Year Member
I suppose that is the best option. I was really looking forward to having them graze on all the grasses we have growing there! From my reading, the highest concentrations of lead absorbed by plants is in the leaves and stalks, so probably best to avoid that...

Thanks all
Logan

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
If you do the above, you can still add fresh organic top soil from Home Depot and plant grazing seeds, maybe in a section versus all.
Can you test your soil to be sure? You may get a surprise and be a location that is okay. Soil test kits range in cost from $10 to $50 for multiple tests. A Technology & Product Report from the American Society of Horticultural Science assessed the accuracy of commercially available soil test kits, as compared to test results from an analytical laboratory:
#1. La Motte Soil Test Kit (La Motte Co., Chesteron, MD) 94%
#2. Rapidtest® (Luster Leaf Products, Woodstock, IL) 92%
#3. Quick Soiltest (Hanna, Woonsocket, RI) 64%
These soil test kits might be the way to go so at least you know what you have one way or another. Also, check around because this might be something someone in government does for free being it was a disaster area. Hmmmm, who would that be is the question? Farm Bureau maybe?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's a great idea, to test it first. I had assumed you already knew you had levels, but if you don't, definitely test it first. A few bucks now, could save you a lot more bucks and hard work later.

LRobb88

5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out LSU sends out soil test kits for 5 or 10 bucks and does the analysis!