My hands are cut up but it is DONE. Now, what soil is best for a raised bed oasis...?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Dawn, YOUR dogs are the ones you should worry about most. Not one person (and there are many...) whose loving gentle family dog chewed up their tortoise ever though it would happen. Most of the time the dogs ignore the tortoises and pay no attention to them... until the day they do pay attention to them. The damage is catastrophic and irreversible. Please let me help you avoid this tragedy.

Now that I have this info, I STRONGLY recommend you spend the time and effort to put a cover over the top of you new enclosure.

Read this thread. Not just the initial post that I wrote, but read some of the horror stories that were shared later on in the thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-dog-story.45850/

Trust me, I have read the horror stories (and will read again) which is why I made his oasis so tall, just to be safe. I could have made a "standard" raised bed but wanted him out of reach and safe. Our German Shepherd is older and does not jump (can't due to a broken back leg that happened before adoption, he as an elderly adoption 4 years ago) and neither does our Great Dane (not the sharpest tool in the shed, a baby gate stops her and she does not like closed spaces.) Tuleo's previous oasis was a kiddie pool (you can see photos in my past posts) that I would cover if we were not right with him, no one ever disturbed him. They have been taught to ignore him. I have been around dogs long enough to know that could change though. Plus my dogs are not outside dogs. They go out to pee and come in, too warm for a fuzzy German Shepherd (who abhors heat) and a Great Dane with heat issues. I am not trying to ignore you, just giving you my thoughts thus far. Again, this is why I made it so tall - to be safe and thinking ahead. I will read the link again, for sure.

Grandpa Turtle - thank you. Good call!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
...they have also been taught to leave the chickens alone. Haven't lost one (in 4 years) yet. Not saying I am ignoring you, but thought has been given to all this and I will read the above link again, for sure. I do NOT want him to be a statistic, that is for sure.gsd.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Gorgeous dog. I understand your hesitancy to put a cover on it, especially when it does just start looking like another expense. But you don't have to use hardware cloth, even the wire with the bigger openings like what we call pig wire, I don't know the real name, will work fine. Unless you can be out with your dogs in the yard all the time I would suggest covering it. And there is nothing more gross than the cat using it as a litter box. So now my cats, dogs, and chickens cannot get in there as well as any other critters that might want to try. Sometimes I wonder why I covered mine but now I am so glad I did.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for acknowledging my advice Dawn. All I can do is say it and hope for the best. Its very nice of you to let me know you heard it.

Hoping for the best for you.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Gorgeous dog. I understand your hesitancy to put a cover on it, especially when it does just start looking like another expense. But you don't have to use hardware cloth, even the wire with the bigger openings like what we call pig wire, I don't know the real name, will work fine. Unless you can be out with your dogs in the yard all the time I would suggest covering it. And there is nothing more gross than the cat using it as a litter box. So now my cats, dogs, and chickens cannot get in there as well as any other critters that might want to try. Sometimes I wonder why I covered mine but now I am so glad I did.

No, no hesitation in regards to expense really. Just time, and how to make it work right since it is so large. I do like the pig wire idea and think I will go with that. I never have the chickens out when Tuleo is out as I have nightmares about them pecking him and since I work from home and gardening is my therapy I am usually out when the dogs are out. BUT my cats can be jerks and I worry about the littler box thing and I would rather be safe than sorry. I knew I wanted to err on the side of caution making it taller than needed because things DO happen. (I just took a picture of our GSD by it, to show height. He is 100lbs, I tried to get a photo of our Dane by it but she is spooked by it. She is also a rescue and was abused and still (four years later) will not go upstairs or in small spaces no matter how much she is coaxed. She hates small spaces so I know she won't jump in it, she won't even get near it for a photo.) Just want it clear that A LOT of thought has been given to this. My cats though? They are jerks. I will run with the pig wire idea especially given the fact I would rather be safe than sorry.

(Sorry for the sideways photos. It is saved right but keeps uploading wrong.)

Thanks for the tip!

Kaiserbed.jpg

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
...PLUS butterflies can get through the pig wire. Added bonus! :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have an enclosure that is 15 feet long so I made three different sections for the top. It's easier to manage than one huge piece and lighter too. I do have latches on it so it could be padlocked but I don't padlock it. But I do turn it so that they stay latched. My enclosure is kind of like Fort Knox, a little bit of overkill but it makes me feel better.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I have an enclosure that is 15 feet long so I made three different sections for the top. It's easier to manage than one huge piece and lighter too. I do have latches on it so it could be padlocked but I don't padlock it. But I do turn it so that they stay latched. My enclosure is kind of like Fort Knox, a little bit of overkill but it makes me feel better.

Do you have a photo you can share with me? Is your baby out 24/7 in it? I don't think I will need a padlock but I would love to see a photo to get some ideas.

Thanks so much.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you have a photo you can share with me? Is your baby out 24/7 in it? I don't think I will need a padlock but I would love to see a photo to get some ideas.

Thanks so much.
Okay. It is only 12 inches tall, it is for a Russian. But you get the general idea. I used hardware cloth but you don't need to.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428457591.648843.jpg

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
That is exactly what I was thinking initially. Love it. I was looking online just now at our local feed store that carries the hog wire. It is in large "sheets" - wondering if I can get away with getting a few and bending them down to create a frame (hard u shape, if this makes sense - over the bed in sections) That way I can just lift off whatever section is needed to get him in and out... Hmmmmm....

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I am just wondering what other people do who have dogs? I mean, if his oasis was part of our yard none of this would be possible... How do people with dogs "do it." ? Because when we move to more land and build his REAL oasis, this is about the height his oasis will be (26" ish) and could easily be stepped/jumped/whatever over especially since the other side will be large and open (running start... if pressed.) He is almost 2 and will outside full time once we move.

(Planning ahead.)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That could work, but you might want to put a board across the top or something to make it heavy enough to stay. Maybe a couple of 2 x 4's down the middle or a 2 x 12. I don't know, I'm not very handy. Talk to the people at the feed store they should know how to do it. There might be a very easy way.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
That could work, but you might want to put a board across the top or something to make it heavy enough to stay. Maybe a couple of 2 x 4's down the middle or a 2 x 12. I don't know, I'm not very handy. Talk to the people at the feed store they should know how to do it. There might be a very easy way.

I very much appreciate all your time and feedback tonight leigti. Thank you!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
No problem. You say you're moving next year? Then you can have the fun of building a permanent enclosure, a really big one :) I would still keep it so the dogs can't get into it but you won't have to cover it. When he gets bigger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am just wondering what other people do who have dogs? I mean, if his oasis was part of our yard none of this would be possible... How do people with dogs "do it." ? Because when we move to more land and build his REAL oasis, this is about the height his oasis will be (26" ish) and could easily be stepped/jumped/whatever over especially since the other side will be large and open (running start... if pressed.) He is almost 2 and will outside full time once we move.

(Planning ahead.)

The tortoise area and dog areas need to be separate. The dogs should not have access to the tortoise area. Fencing of some sort will keep them out.

M249saw

Brooksville,Florida
As Tom said you can have your larger raised enclosure on the new property, then maybe a perimeter fence around that. Or maybe just fence off a section of the yard just for tort use.

My plans once I start adding more enclosures is to limit access to that side of the yard with a gated wrought iron fence to keep my dachshunds out.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I had a brief heart attack because we are looking to buy a home with a few acres possibly. My dream was that (when purchased) it would ALL be fenced so no stray dogs could come in or other wild life (electrical?) then build Tuleo an area. All the property we have seen thus far is not fenced. J.O.Y.