Tortoise possession laws and canada....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Hey guys,
I have a quick question not just for the canuks but also for everyone else.
What are your guys laws as far as owning a species that is cites 1 or 2?
Is there any laws out there that explain a tortoise or turtle for that matter in your possession may be illegal under the cites act that is enforced at your home not just at the boarder?
Example:
an indian star you have owned for years in your home being seized due to its rank on the list (cites not restricted locally) and its boarders being closed to export for years, not you being caught smuggling it?
I was always under the impression if you buy it from a reasonable dealer its not illegal but importing it is the same as smuggling?
I am looking for any info on the matter i can find and anything of the sort would be Greatly appreciated :)

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Anyone here ever question a possible loss of an animal over its status or export laws?
Anything?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You can own CITES I or II species all day long. The only thing CITES restricts is International trade on different levels........CITES I animals generally cannot be traded/sold internationally on a commercial level, but they can still be shipped internationally with the right paperwork. CITES II animals come and go through just about every countries borders on a daily basis. We have MANY species here in the US that are CITES I whos captive population exceeds the wild population exponentially. Cyclura are one example. Argentine Boas would be another.......

Smuggling would elude to doing something illegally, so unless you were trying to launder CITES animals that were initially illegal as legal, there isn't an issue......

Status
Not open for further replies.