Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Greeting from Vegas.
I am looking at getting a baby / small tortoise and buying a Zoomed tortoise house. Ideally, I want a species of tortoise that can live outdoors in Vegas year round. The plan is to dig a burrow for the tortoise once it out grows the Zoomed tortoise house.

So, my question to you is, what species would you recommend for this endeavor?

Thanks for all the help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Well, Russian tortoises hibernate, but if you get much rainfall, you shouldn't allow it to hibernate outside.

Sulcata tortoises would do well in the Nevada climate, however, they DON'T hibernate, so you would have to build a heated shed for the winter.

Redfooted tortoises require a humid environment, so unless you're willing to go the expense of having some sort of misting system, lots of plantings to hold the humidity and plenty of water, I doubt that would be a good choice.

You can contact your local turtle club and try to adopt a desert tortoise. They are native to your area.

Whatever you get, if you plan on using the tortoise house you bought, you'll have to start with a baby, because those houses just aren't big enough for a tortoise over a couple years of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.