Largest mainland tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
What are the three largest mainland torts ? I know sulcattas are the largest but who is number two and three ?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Galaps and Aladabs are Islanders, not mainlands ;)

Sulcata, Leopard, and M.e.p I think. Yellowfoots get pretty darn big too though...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I've heard sulcata, Mep, and yellowfoot though I won't doubt leopards giving yellowfoots a run for number 3.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
maggie3fan said:
kyryah said:

Sulcata, Leopard, and M.e.p I think. Yellowfoots get pretty darn big too though...

No more than a 'dumb' one Maggie!

You could have 'responded' with ... oooops! or something.. better than what you did.. don't you think?

I'd say the Yellowfoots and M.ep and 'Southern' Redfoots ( Bolivia, etc. -South of Brazil ) and P.p Leopards are all in contention!

NERD

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
maggie3fan said:
kyryah said:

Is that why I don't have any friends?? DARN.... :D :D

Itort said:
I've heard sulcata, Mep, and yellowfoot though I won't doubt leopards giving yellowfoots a run for number 3.

I was thinking of G.p.p. as opposed to G.p.b.

I had always read that leos were the second larges mainland, but we all know how reliable the internet is ;)

Redfoot NERD said:
maggie3fan said:
kyryah said:

You could have 'responded' with ... oooops! or something.. better than what you did.. don't you think?

I'd say the Yellowfoots and M.ep and 'Southern' Redfoots ( Bolivia, etc. -South of Brazil ) and P.p Leopards are all in contention!

NERD

Not trying to cause any issues here, but Maggie and I understand each other perfectly, and I do not need to be defended from her.

S

stells

Redfoot NERD said:
maggie3fan said:
kyryah said:

NERD

And you could stop teling people how to respond to others when you are not always great with words yourself :D

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
How funny of a conversation. I would have said the same thing as Maggie...I guess the original question is a good one.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm fairly confident that overall, the leopard is the second largest...but I have yet to see a leopard as big as the largest MEP I ever saw...25" WOW!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
they say MEPs, and sulcatas can be close as far as size, also leopards(p.p) and yellow footed tortoises are close in the run. Some bigger then others.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Now are you talking maximum length or weight. Maybe you want average length or weight. You need to pick one or two Larry, than we can get into it. :p

Danny

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Not going to lie, maggie every now and then will say something and i will think its out of line, or something someone should of not said, but the above when she said smarta** i felt it wasnt out of line, it was more of just joking around. Its also very hard to judge how the context of some of the stuff so i dont really judge, its all fun, we are all here because of one thing, and yes they have shells, lol

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
The :p at the end of Maggie's joking statement was enough for me to get she was joking around. The smilies are pretty easy to read, which is why some use them, so people get that they arn't being serious.

On topic though, I never realized yellow foots got that big, yeesh.

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
California
soo.... the line up is Sulcatas, Leopards, ... whos on 3rd? Whats an MEP? I'm terrible with abbreviations :(

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
MEP is (Manouria emys phayrei) i would say MEPs are above leopards, maybe even closer tied in first against sulcats.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I had no idea that MEP's were closer tied for first with Sulcatas.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maggie...Don't let it bother you...We all KNOW you are NOT dumb by any stretch of the imagination. MOST of us knew you were just kidding with her!!
Hugs
Patsy

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
never said you called anyone dumb, as for NERD he shouldnt of said what he said as well. We should just drop it.

and yeah there are some huge MEPs out there, 25+ inchers

some actually say MEPs are the 3rd largest tortoise, after aldabras, but i still think sulcatas are bigger, or at least some sulcatas are bigger then the biggest MEPs. There are some huge Sulcatas out there. But i want to say MEPS are 4th above the Leopard tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't go so much by length as by weight. My largest, full grown Manouria emys phayrei weighs 65lbs. And that's a consistent weight for that species. There may be a few leopards or yellowfoots that get that heavy, however, the majority of those species DON'T get that big.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
So Yvonne, you are saying that by weight it would be Sulcata, Mep, and Leo/YF, in that order?

Does anyone know weights on the Leos and YF? Or is it kind of a draw between the two anyway?

(For the record, Maggie is 100% correct. I consider Maggie a good friend, and I understood perfectly that she was joking, and since the comment was aimed at ME, I think that was what counted. I was typing my response to her at the same time that the other response was posted, and I was SHOCKED. Implying that she is less than intelligent was way out of line. I am now dropping the matter and will not say another word on it, other than to say that I feel an apology is owed.)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you want to do maximum length,

Sulcata...............33.26 inches
Yellowfoot...........32.28 inches (I have heard of a 36 inch male that would make Yellowfoots the biggest)
Leopard..............30.70 inches
Bolson................26.77 inches
Asian Mountain....25 inches

If you want to do maximum weight,

Sulcata............232 lbs (264 lbs in captivity)
Yellowfoot........129 lbs
Leopard............123 lbs
Asian Mountain....65 lbs
Bolson................45 lbs

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.