large tortoise greenhouse?

argus333

5 Year Member
anyone build a greenhouse for a large sulcata or leopards? looking to add one to the end of my sulcatas heated shed. thinking of doing a simple pvc pipe tunnel. seems easy enough give them a little more room to roam in a protected environment. any do this? any pics?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used a pop up green house last fall and for early spring. I haven't gotten it up yet, but do plan too, hopefully. I had to use a heater for mine, as I don't have much sun in the winter. It did expand the outside time quite a bit though.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I would imagine it would work well. I wonder if you would want to make a base of cement blocks or 2x12's on posts, with the PVC greenhouse on top, to avoid it being mowed over.

I have a small PVC 'tunnel' over the outdoor area of my Russian enclosure. It really helps. The plants in that area are thriving, with temps at night down to the 20's right now. It gets that cold in there at night, of course, but even on cloudy days is warmer than ambient temps during the day.
(I did use plastic from a garden supply/greenhouse store, because it is UV resistant and won't fall apart the first year.)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Putting strips of 16" tall plywood on the lower inside section would make it doable. At least in my mind. That's what I intend on doing for my Sulcatas. Cutting the sheets into 16" strips gives you 24' of wall per sheet.

argus333

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
That's a good idea!
Ya I hope it will workout some good videos on utube. If weather not to bad here weds I'll try to whip on up. I'd like it to be removable in summer so they can have complete pen back.

argus333

5 Year Member
i built a wood frame with 2x 12s attached pvc tubing . now just have to build door ann wrap and attach to tortoise shed. then get some temp readings. came out way better then i hoped.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm glad to read that you followed through with this. I was speeding with a nurseryman friend of mine last week and out of the blue he suggested I should setup a greenhouse for mine. I mentioned that I could in no way afford what I want to make, and he mentioned his greenhouses that are sitting empty. His are in the 40'x150' size, and now I think it maybe is my turn to drop hints towards him. We'll see.

argus333

5 Year Member
ya so far so good got a lot done to day on it jus have to build door and the wrap.