Large red footed tortoise for adoption - SWFL

Kristin J

Location (City and/or State)
FL
Mature Red Foot Tortoise for Adoption
Large (24 pounds, 18” x 11”) male red footed tortoise is available for adoption. I can include many items that are needed to care for him, including a light, heater, mister, enclosure cover, and more. He was abandoned and has been in my care for seven months.
A person who does wildlife rescue found this tortoise wandering in her pasture in May 2023 in Sarasota County, Florida. She kept him on her patio for a while but was unsuccessful in finding a home for him. I have a large yard and after looking at some information online, thought I could give him a good home outside. I did not realize that he would need to be inside during the cooler months and other details of his care.
I have invested a great deal of time and money in trying to keep him but unfortunately it is too much for me. I built a large, outdoor, partially roofed, concrete block enclosure with electricity, hides, and soaking trays. Indoors I created an enclosure with a greenhouse cover, light, heater, and mister. I am willing to include as many supplies as his new home might need so that it is successful.
The veterinarian who saw him in July 2023 gave him de-wormer and said that he appeared to be in good health and might be 40 years old. He has beautiful coloring on his head and legs and his shell looks similar to when I got him - smooth (not pyramided) with some scratches and rough spots. He has a very good appetite and I have been following the dietary and other care guidelines provided on the Friendly Red and Yellow Footed Tortoise Owners Group on Facebook.

Kristin J

FL
Mature Red Foot Tortoise for Adoption
Large (24 pounds, 18” x 11”) male red footed tortoise is available for adoption. I can include many items that are needed to care for him, including a light, heater, mister, enclosure cover, and more. He was abandoned and has been in my care for seven months.
A person who does wildlife rescue found this tortoise wandering in her pasture in May 2023 in Sarasota County, Florida. She kept him on her patio for a while but was unsuccessful in finding a home for him. I have a large yard and after looking at some information online, thought I could give him a good home outside. I did not realize that he would need to be inside during the cooler months and other details of his care.
I have invested a great deal of time and money in trying to keep him but unfortunately it is too much for me. I built a large, outdoor, partially roofed, concrete block enclosure with electricity, hides, and soaking trays. Indoors I created an enclosure with a greenhouse cover, light, heater, and mister. I am willing to include as many supplies as his new home might need so that it is successful.
The veterinarian who saw him in July 2023 gave him de-wormer and said that he appeared to be in good health and might be 40 years old. He has beautiful coloring on his head and legs and his shell looks similar to when I got him - smooth (not pyramided) with some scratches and rough spots. He has a very good appetite and I have been following the dietary and other care guidelines provided on the Friendly Red and Yellow Footed Tortoise Owners Group on Facebook.
Please contact me if you are interested. Sarasota County, FL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be careful of new members that join just to respond to free tortoise posts. Not all but many if not most only want free so they can resell.
Ask lots of questions and require pictures and knowledge of care.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I can't take in any male Redfoot.
And I'm far away in Broward county.
I know of no one currently looking for Redfoot. In fact, in rehoming two to Ryan at @Southernreptiles for new, permanent homes.
A male/female pair.

Last edited:

Mattt0192

5 Year Member
Summerville, SC
Hello, were you able to find a home for him? My wife and I would love to adopt him if he’s still available. We’re located outside of Charleston, SC and would be willing to travel to pick him up (we’ve been wanting to visit the Florida Aquarium for quite a while so we would make a trip out of the drive).

-Matt