large leaf plants that are ok for a sulcata outdoor enclosure

john p

5 Year Member
Does anyone have a list of large leaf plants that are safe for a sulcata outdoor enclosure. I need them for shade.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Does anyone have a list of large leaf plants that are safe for a sulcata outdoor enclosure. I need them for shade.
A woody hibiscus (Hibiscus syriacus) is a tortoise treat that should provide a bit of shade once it's large enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What part of the country are you in?

Hibiscus work well in the warmer areas. Rose of sharon in the colder areas. I like lavatera, and I'll vote for fruitless mulberry trees too.

john p

5 Year Member
Those look perferct. I hope I can find them here in Houston. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Banana trees are edible and provide a bit of shade. I have a big pineapple guava shrub in my sulcata yard. It's his favorite place to shelter out of the hot afternoon sun:

Dudley 9-9-15.jpg
Dudley and Little Brother 10-13-16.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Aaagh yes,, @Yvonne G is right! i forgot about our banana tree! The good thing about banana is they grow quickly & you can either plant it in the ground or for the first few years in larger pots. Once it outgrows the pots depending on hardy or not and ur zone, you can plant right in the ground.

Mine are in very large 90 gallon containers & put up massive leaves that provide shade & are edible (safe).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Remember that any reachable plant will be trampled, eaten or somehow destroyed by a sulcata. What I do is plant my plant, and then encircle it with two or three rows of cinder block. You could also stick pressure treated 4x4s in the ground and attach boards to those to make a wooden barrier around the new plants.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina