Koi Pox

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Has anyone had experience with this? 2 of my 5, both the gold ones, have it. They are large, eating well, and even came up to eat out of my hand today! From what I'm reading this is very similar to shingles (Herpes) virus in people. Most carry it, the cooler water suppresses the immune system and lesions show up. Once the water warms up it tends to go away.
Any thoughts from my tort friends would be great :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I have never heard of it and I had koi for about 15 years that lived outside all year 24/7 even through our cold, snowy winters here in Chicago. Do you need to treat it or just wait it out?

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
What I'm reading is that there is no treatment, it will go away when the water warms (next year!) Because its taking advantage of the immune system, most fish have it for 2-3 yrs, (during the cold/times of stress) then kick it completely. Its just weird, the gold ones are my biggest, seemingly heartiest koi. No one else has a spot...

ashleym

5 Year Member
I was just reading that there is Carp Pox and then there is KHV (Koi Herpes Virus). KHV is a viral, fatal disease. Carp Pox is the one that creates those big obvious lesions and does clear up with warmer weather.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Right Ashley, KHV (from what I saw) has a mortality frame of just a few days. My guys have had these spots for 2 weeks, and nothing in their gills. KHV seems to attack gills, and create red lesions on the body. My guys just have white blister like spots on their top lip, and along the edge of their tail fins. The spots change size too. Its disheartening to know there is a virus like this, but they seem to be fine for now. The other 3 have nothing, I wonder if its due to immune system?

Status
Not open for further replies.