• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Color changing Koi

ZEROPILOT

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was going to "like" the story....but felt super wrong to like it....I get is, but had to acknowledge without the like button..... :)
Yes.
Goldfish living in tiny jars or bowls is so wrong.
But so common.
Common Comet goldfish generate a lot of waste and grow very large. They need lots of room and some serious filtration.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yes.
Goldfish living in tiny jars or bowls is so wrong.
But so common.
Common Comet goldfish generate a lot of waste and grow very large. They need lots of room and some serious filtration.
I agree. I have 5 of these guys in a 50 gal tank with a 80 gal Filter on it. I’ve had them since they were baby feeders and I got them each for a dime. Probably the best fish I ever bought

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
That's a pretty good shot of several "food" Goldfish in an area where I placed food.
As you can see. One is a fan tail.
Beautiful fish Ed.
I have a fan tail too, but he’s camera shy [emoji5]

Markw84

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Could it be possible to have a pond for Opo soaking and koi also?
Koi are actually quite sensitive to poor water quality. There would be no way to control that with a tortoise who loves to use the "pond" as a toilet. Goldfish are the most tolerant of poor water quality, but I would think that would not even work.

ZEROPILOT

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Could it be possible to have a pond for Opo soaking and koi also?
I've seen gravel bed filters for ponds that incorporate a shallow area that actually would work.
But the pond itself has steep sides and I'm not sure that a tortoise would be able to climb out of one like mine if it fell in.
I've seen members with things like this. For the life of me, I can't recall who.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen gravel bed filters for ponds that incorporate a shallow area that actually would work.
But the pond itself has steep sides and I'm not sure that a tortoise would be able to climb out of one like mine if it fell in.
I've seen members with things like this. For the life of me, I can't recall who.
What about anyfoot's indoor RF area. He had some sort of pond with a filter. I'll try to find it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's the link to the thread I was thinking of. You have to follow along with the process to get to the indoor pond area

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/indoor-enclosure.130200/