Kleinmanni vs Ankyensis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
As far as care, hardiness, temperament and diet go how do these two compare?

I am looking through websites for comparisons...
It appears the Kleinmanni are more fragile and smaller?

Any input is appreciated...I have to dig up the book suggestion from Dan, I have 2 smaller oldere books, but I think there is a newer one that is more inclusive...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The care is basicly the same Colleen, except that T. kleinmanni like it cool with a hot hotspot. When base temperatures go above 86F Egyptians want to aestivate (summer hibernation) where as most Greeks are fine over 86F.
Greeks as a whole are hardier then Egyptians.
Egyptians are wound up, small, lovely, not much personality tortoises. :p
Diet is the same.
Egyptians are smaller then any subspecies of Greek tortoise. Males are 3 to 4.5 inches and females 4 to 6 inches.

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
egyptiandan said:
The care is basicly the same Colleen, except that T. kleinmanni like it cool with a hot hotspot. When base temperatures go above 86F Egyptians want to aestivate (summer hibernation) where as most Greeks are fine over 86F.
Greeks as a whole are hardier then Egyptians.
Egyptians are wound up, small, lovely, not much personality tortoises. :p
Diet is the same.
Egyptians are smaller then any subspecies of Greek tortoise. Males are 3 to 4.5 inches and females 4 to 6 inches.

Danny
Hey Danny...once again I bow to your wisdom...and how you are able to put it in laymans laguage so I actually understand it:D
It sounds like we should stick with the type of little guy we've got...he's not too big nor too small, seems forgiving of a degree F* or two and is full of personality...of course I may be a bit biased;)

Thanks again! Hope you had a great holiday...

Our 8 year old had to come up for 4 wishes at school...
a wish for: self, family, school and the world.
He wished that the world would stop all their wars, that the school would get air conditioning, that his family would be healthy and that, for himself, his tortoise Calvin would live forever...I was happy to see this, and that he seems to know it is a selfish wish:)).

Status
Not open for further replies.