Kinixys Nogueyi heating and lighting

bexhex

My viv is coming tomorrow for my Western hingeback tortoise to use at night time and when the weather is too poor for her to be in her outdoor enclosure or heated conservatory getting her natural UV fix. I'm sealing the viv to hold humidity and prevent moisture getting into the wood but need to decide on lighting. What is best? I'm in England.

I'm leaning towarda an arcadia combi mercury vapour bulb to provide heat, light and UV in one. Is this ok for this species and which wattage? The viv is 5ftx2ftx2ft so perhaps 100watt? What kind of light fitting does this need? Is a standard screw bulb light fitting fine?

If I had a combi bulb would any additional heating/uv/lighting be required? She has nutrobol which also contains D3 supplent twice a week and is in natural UV light as much as possible. I'm planning on turning the bulb off at night, allowing a natural temp drop, what is the minimum drop in degrees celcius at night for this species please?

Thank you.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
That bulb should be just fine. Just remember you will have to get something addition for night time heat in the winter when the MVB is off.

bexhex

Thank you. Thinking a CHE for night time. I think the natural night time temp drop in my house will be ok with no supplementary heating due to the location of her viv being in a heated room but obviously I will monitor this daily and use a CHE if it doesn't work out. I have been advised against the UV/heat bulb today and recommended 5% UV forest arcadia strip bulbs. I though western hingebacks were less forest dwelling and that therefore an 80 watt mercury vapour bulb would be ok in a 5ftx2ft viv but now I'm all unsure again! So hard with a sub species that has limited care resources available!

bexhex

I have changed my mind again! Viv is no longer going in my heated reptile room that stays toastie at night, it is now going in a room where the temp drops significantly at night. As a result i am getting a ceramic bulb and fitting. What wattage will I need for a 5ft viv in a cold room to get the temps right? It will be on a pulse thermostat.

Also where abouts should i place the bulb to get the best temp gradient (aiming for low 20's (degrees celsius) cold end and 27-28•c hot end with the temp sitting at 28-30•c under the hot spot. Ive never had to position a bulb or had to heat such a large viv before so advice on that would be great.

Obviously I now need a separate UV but don't know what percent. Some people are saying 5% arcadia forest tubes, is this too low for this particular sub species? Feeling despairing! Researching hasn't helped much as there's not much proof available of which is best for a western hingeback. Any western hingeback keepers on here?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Id go with a 150 watt and put it on a t stat. 36 or 48" will work hair fine for a 5' enclosure