Killing Brown Widow Spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I live in southern California. I moved into my current place 1 year ago and have been dealing with brown widow spiders for the first time. My yard has been infested with them. Literally, I find dozens at night. Their favorite place is under the 4" wood lip along the perimeter of my tortoise pens.
When I go out during the early evening to put the Russians away and bring the Leopards inside I don't see them so I'm not as bothered. At that time they are still hiding under the lip. But on nights when I come home after dark and go out there the spiders are all out and I have to kill them off and carefully round up the torts. Tonight I killed 2 dozen and I didn't even get them all. Last week on another late night, I killed 17! It's creepy and freaks me out.

I will use a Widow poison spray by Raid for any that are not in tortoise territory. The problem is I'm trying to figure out the best way to kill the ones in the pens. I either use some scissors to cut them in half..yuck. Or depending on their location in the pen, I'll spray them and then scoop out the area and replace the dirt or wash the wall.. There has got to be a better way. I don't like doing either of those methods.

Is there a safe spray/ non poison to kill them without the clean up?
Would vinegar work??

I've tried googling for an answer but the recommendations I read are to use poison (not tortoise safe) or squash them with something flat. I tried that before but they would scurry up under the lip before I could get them...hence how the scissor method was created.

Maybe you being outside the box will have an idea? Or maybe you've dealt with them and have a solution? Help please :) :)

Sent from my TFOapp

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
We have a natural Pest Control company here that comes out monthly for years. The products are all natural, non toxic and work! You might check your phone book for Pest Control Companies that use ORGANIC treatments.

I did a google search on Organic Spider Repellent and came up with these (there's a ton more as well):

Essential oils act as insect and spider repellents. Place a few drops of oil in a large spray bottle with water. There are several essential oils that are are repellents and will leave your home with pleasant aromas. Lavender, peppermint, rose, citrus, cinnamon, tee tree, citronella and eucalyptus work fine. Spray the areas where you discovered spiders and other likely places that both insects and spider could take up comfortable residence. - See more at: http://www.pestcontrolmanagement.org/getting-rid-of-spiders-naturally.html#sthash.JNd4WSbE.dpuf

http://thethingreenlineshop.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/make-your-own-organic-spider-repellent/

http://www.yumuniverse.com/2011/11/10/100-natural-toxin-free-spider-and-bug-repellent/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ6O2C-3GJI

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A can of spray adhesive and a flat piece of wood....those are our hunting tools when we do the night hunts....

Also, if you keep the webs swept away every day---they seem to get annoyed and move to a different place...

However, remember we are in California--they love the weather here :p

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I spray my deck with odoban (dogs like to stink it up) and I notice a lot less spiders, flies, and roaches around after I do because it has eucalyptus in it. Doesn't keep all at bay but definitely reduces the population.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I walked into a giant spider's web last night while retrieving my 15 year old half blind/deaf dog off the deck. GROSS! But nothing so poisonous in CT. We are moving to FL in the next year or so, and I guess we will have to worry about such things. YUK!
One question: Are the torts in danger?

Ann from CT

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I've had a similar problem with black widows in my tort enclosure. I kept destroying their web work every morning and they seem to be greatly reduced. Of course now I have a ton of crickets in there, which I guess the spiders were helping me manage.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Killing Brown Widow Spiders

ascott said:
Also, if you keep the webs swept away every day---they seem to get annoyed and move to a different place...

However, remember we are in California--they love the weather here :p

I do use a 2x2 to wipe the webs away in the morning..hopefully they get the hint and move away. Just don't move into my house please! Oh man...

And CA I can handle. I wouldn't move to FL if someone gave me a free house! Lol

Sent from my TFOapp

AnnV said:
One question: Are the torts in danger?

Not from the spiders. I want to make sure they stay out of danger from my method of killing them, though.

Sent from my TFOapp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A can of Lysol and a lighter works. Or a spray bottle of alcohol.

Use carefully and at your own risk :).

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tom ... I like your thinking .. I use hairspray! ( with our without the lighter of course....;) ) ....

Honest the hairspray works great .,...even in tight spots!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Once more, I am so very glad I don't live in CA! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This might be of some help to you:

"Control

As with black widow spiders, brown widow spider control requires sanitation and elimination of nesting sites. Inside the house, garage, and porch, brown widow spiders, their egg sacs, and webbing should be removed with a vacuum cleaner. After cleaning, the bag should immediately be removed, placed in a sealed plastic bag, and disposed of in outdoor trash bins. As an added precaution, bags containing spiders and egg sacs can be placed in a chest freezer for several hours. Regular inspections and routine cleaning (wearing gloves) of the areas the spiders have been previously found should occur in and around the home. Areas with excess clutter should be eliminated, as this will discourage spiders from nesting. Empty containers outside the home (flowerpots, buckets) and firewood should be moved away from the house or removed. Cracks, holes, and spaces around doors and windows should be sealed. If spiders remain after sanitation and elimination of nesting areas, insecticides may be required. Treatment with aerosol sprays containing insecticides labeled for spiders will kill spiders when directly applied to them. Spot treatment with insecticidal dusts in cracks and crevices where spiders build their webs may also help with control.

Prepared by Laurie. S. Reid, Entomologist/Environmental Educator"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
This might be of some help to you:

Yeah. My method sounds like a lot more fun... :p

Jacqui said:

Oh? Because they don't have spiders where you are?

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
N2TORTS said:
Tom ... I like your thinking .. I use hairspray! ( with our without the lighter of course....;) ) ....

Honest the hairspray works great .,...even in tight spots!

I once sprayed a black widow with silver paint, no hair spray and wanted to clog her pores. She hung in her web nice and silvery for several days. After about one week, she came back as a silver widow. Yep withstood the spraying and hanging in the AZ sun for almost a week.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Jacqui said:

Oh? Because they don't have spiders where you are?
[/quote]

We don't have problems like this. :D I would also not like living any place without some spiders, think of all the other bugs you would have to deal with.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hair spray will kill them huh? I like it!! Going to try this for sure :D

I wanted a spray that will kill the widows but not be dangerous for the tortoises since they are inside the enclosures.

Today I destroyed a few more and some egg nests. I collected some of the dead sprayed ones from last night and got a real good look at them. It was kinda neat.
Controlling/ killing them outside of the pens, I got. We've used the lighter/flame method on some cockroaches in the tool shed :)

Glad to have that hair spray tip. Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes!

Sent from my TFOapp

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I have tons of them here, too. Both black and brown widows. Used to be a lot more black but the brown ones have kind of taken over. Killed one, with a brick, in one of my box turtle shelters this morning. Almost everything I move, including my out door furniture has one under it. I'll have to try removing the webs and see if that makes them move away. I assume the hairspray routine includes a flame. Maybe I'll invest in a blowtorch. Tons of lizards in the yard that seem to not bother eating them, too bad

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
MikeCow1 said:
Tons of lizards in the yard that seem to not bother eating them, too bad

Around here the widows are out at night and the lizards are out during the day.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Ann from CT

Attachments

• 1377722277228.jpg
    1377722277228.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 31
Status