Killing Brown Widow Spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I hate those suckers! We had them by the tons too until we finally had an exterminator come spray, thought that's not really an option for you with the torts. The exterminator told us they reproduce faster than black widows and I believe him because we were seeing them more and more no matter how many we tried to kill. I hate risking trying to kill a spider and it getting away so I usually use hairspray. Spray them stiff and then clean them up later.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Julie, you use the hair spray, too? So I don't need to use a "flame" with it, just the hair spray right?? Oh boy I hope so!

Sent from my TFOapp

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
No flame. Just spray them and wait for it to dry before you remove them. I don't know if the hairspray kills them or maybe they can't move and die? But it works. Just make sure it's the aerosol hairspray.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Jacqui said:
Once more, I am so very glad I don't live in CA! :D

Oh? Because they don't have spiders where you are?

Maybe we could take up a collection and share this interesting species with her... ;)

These are more my taste:

petting_spider2.jpg

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
My secret solution for spiders is have someone else do it for me....
I am terrified of them and have my room mates come kill them for me, even if they are outside by my torts, I just don't know how to deal with them haha. I have been bitten by spiders so many times in my life, I am pretty sure they have it out for me haha, I enjoy this thread because I am pretty sure I can handle the flame thrower option, or at least the hairspray so thank you for that haha.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I send my husband out with a hand held blow torch (harbor fright $10.00). Quick simple and very satisfying.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hair spray it is!! Can't wait to try it :D

Sent from my TFOapp

littlestella said:
I send my husband out with a hand held blow torch (harbor fright $10.00). Quick simple and very satisfying.

This sounds fun....and I'd do it but I'm pretty sure this would burn up my wood enclosure lol... Ah rats. Maybe for the ones found on block walls?

Sent from my TFOapp

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Find a Tractor Supply Co. In the lawn and garden set, they have a spider trap. It should work in your case. Look also into diatomaceous earth, which is food grade, but shreds insects.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use DE for other bugs in the yard but couldn't get it to work the spiders. They hang out under a perimeter lip on my tort pens and well, gravity doesn't let the DE stick up there ;)
Are you thinking I can throw a pinch of DE on them?? Hmmm..

What are these spider traps like?

Sent from my TFOapp

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Team Gomberg said:
I use DE for other bugs in the yard but couldn't get it to work the spiders. They hang out under a perimeter lip on my tort pens and well, gravity doesn't let the DE stick up there ;)

What are these spider traps like?

Sent from my TFOapp

Very similar to moth traps, somewhat of a triangle that you place in the area of infestation. The spiders climb in to the natural shelter, and are trapped by the chemicals and killed. Keep on the outside of the pen for safety. Any egg sacks should be squashed that you find. If they hatch, hundreds of new spiders will be nearby. DE, or any broad spectrum bug killer that is put and where your torts do not graze, will decrease the potential food sources for the spiders, and shortly they will move on for search of food. It is slow, but will work.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
They do not like eucalyptus, so you can place some branches around the pen where the tortoises can't reach them and that should help in keeping the in control. Also check on YouTube for a homemade spray

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
After bragging about my web removal technique, I just opened the back door to check on the torts and walked straight into a web about 30 baby widows were spinning. So so much for that, kids.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Soooo laughing MAO.... running around flicking pinches of DE, "ooo, there's one, oh look another....dust em dust em"...lol ....:D

oooo, you could get a one of those baby nose snot sucker things and fill it with the DE and instant puffer duster....lol :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just to share an update.

The aerosol hair spray works well. Thanks for the tip. :D It doesn't kill the widows but it causes them to fall to the ground, curl up and then I use my scissors to cut them. They die and no poison is used in the pens. I cut them because I can't smash them into the dirt. I tried and it just pushed them under the soil. This way I KNOW they are dead :)

I have done this every single day since making the post. In the first 3 days I killed over 50 adults (lost count after that) and destroyed over 2 dozen egg sacks. Following the initial battles now I kill 3 to 5 adults on average each day. No more nests yet.

Thanks again for the hair spray tip. It's exactly what I wanted.

Sent from my TFOapp

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Spiders do not groom themselves. So spray typically will not work on arachnids. Wintergreen crumbles spread throughout the exterior of wherever you would like the spiders to not be is the best scenario.

Here is some good alternatives that is natural to deter spiders. I have lots of these plants in my yard and do not see many arachnids at all.

http://www.herbco.com/t-Natural-Pest-Control.aspx

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The spray doesn't kill them but it does cause them to freak out and "play dead" or curl up and hold still. Then I come in with the scissors and SNAP they are in half :D

I'll check out that product kelly, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.