Spiders

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
It is growing colder here in Minnesota. Last few days have been very warm.. there is a giant population of big @$$ spiders all over my house lately... I am terrified to death of spiders.. can't even get close enough to smoosh one.. does anybody have any natural remedies for spiders? That will just keep them away? That won't harm my babies and animals? I have walking on pins and needles trying to stray from the spiders.. we bought bug bombs for the house but I don't necessarily want to evacuate all my pets and kids to bomb at this very moment in time. Husband went back to work ( school bus driver) and it's been very hectic. He got a a 2$ raise this year [emoji3526][emoji120] we are also in the midst of remodeling our kitchen. New cabinets and going to attempt to move the sink and plumping before it freezes. Our water pipes blew last winter, 3 times!.... We fixed it everytime but the -40 below days caught up to it. Overall a hectic period in our lives but in hopes it will save us money and stress.. hope everyone has a fantastic Friday!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Suggest a cordless stick VAC for spot spider removal. Suggest you work on sealing and debugging the house since the spiders are just helping you. Goodluck frozen pipes suck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Back in the day when I used to do housework (I live in a dirty house now), I used to pin a terry towel around my broom and dust all the wall-to-ceiling corners around the house once a week. The spiders soon realize the area is too busy for webs and stay away.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Back in the day when I used to do housework (I live in a dirty house now), I used to pin a terry towel around my broom and dust all the wall-to-ceiling corners around the house once a week. The spiders soon realize the area is too busy for webs and stay away.
I have made the hubby dust the webs away. Hopefully they move to my basement at least, I can deal with that. They don't do anything but creep me out. I dusted one of their webs by Elvis's pool and he built it all the way across the turtle pool [emoji19]

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Do you know the type of spiders?
Knowing if they are actually harmful might help with your fear of them harming your animals.
Then, they can simply be creepy.
No clue. I will take a picture next time I see one. When the weather started cooling off they started coming inside. My cat and my dogs kill the spiders when they are able to. They dont eat them like my cat usually does with flies and such.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No clue. I will take a picture next time I see one. When the weather started cooling off they started coming inside. My cat and my dogs kill the spiders when they are able to. They dont eat them like my cat usually does with flies and such.
I have a suspicion that @Tom may know....With a few photos.
At least then you'd know.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
In Ohio there are two main groups of spiders that pose a potential hazard to humans; the recluse spiders and the widow spiders. These spiders are relatively rare in Ohio. The two species of recluse spiders found in Ohio (brown recluse – Loxosceles reclusa, Mediterranean recluse – Loxosceles rufescens

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In Ohio there are two main groups of spiders that pose a potential hazard to humans; the recluse spiders and the widow spiders. These spiders are relatively rare in Ohio. The two species of recluse spiders found in Ohio (brown recluse – Loxosceles reclusa, Mediterranean recluse – Loxosceles rufescens
And the Recluse are also "large". Correct?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The nice thing about spiders is that they typically don’t bite unprovoked. Don’t mess with them and they leave you alone.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
And the Recluse are also "large". Correct?

https://a-abel.com/poisonous-spiders-ohio/

BLACK WIDOW
The females are most well-known for their dark (almost black colored) bodies and distinct red, hourglass-shaped mark.

Widow spiders usually build their webs away from humans and typically hide in abandoned or rarely used areas.

Widow bites are typically immediately painful and as the venom’s toxin takes effect, it can cause severe pain, muscle spasms, and shortness of breath. While the spiders bites are very rarely lethal in healthy adults, the elderly and people with comprised immunity are more at risk for complications.

RECLUSE SPIDERS
Two species of recluse, the brown recluse and the Mediterranean recluse can be found in Ohio. They are usually between ¼” to ½” long. Their bodies are light brown with a distinct dark colored violin shape on their backs.

Recluse spiders are reclusive and tend to hide away in dark, infrequently traveled areas of a home. They’re typically found inside buildings, especially in the winter.

If bitten by a recluse, you might not experience immediate pain. The days following a bite, the toxin in the spider’s venom causes skin tissue around the bite to die (necrosis).

If you think you’ve been bitten by a widow or recluse spider, seek medical attention immediately! Use ice on the site to treat swelling and an OTC pain reliever to help with any pain and fever.

There are a few species of biting spiders that sometimes bite humans. While the venom of these spiders rarely causes a severe reaction, people who are particular sensitive may have mild pain and swelling associated with their bites.

YELLOW SAC SPIDER
The yellow sac spider is less than ½” long. It has a light colored body. They are nocturnal and typically hide during the day.

PARSON SPIDER
The parson spider is about ½” long. It has a dark colored body with pale markings. They’re very fast and usually hide under things.

GRASS SPIDER
Female grass spiders are usually about 8/10″ long, males are about 7/10″. Both sexes have long legs. They’re medium brown with dark brown stripes on their backs. They typically build a funnel shaped web in low corners.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
https://a-abel.com/poisonous-spiders-ohio/

BLACK WIDOW
The females are most well-known for their dark (almost black colored) bodies and distinct red, hourglass-shaped mark.

Widow spiders usually build their webs away from humans and typically hide in abandoned or rarely used areas.

Widow bites are typically immediately painful and as the venom’s toxin takes effect, it can cause severe pain, muscle spasms, and shortness of breath. While the spiders bites are very rarely lethal in healthy adults, the elderly and people with comprised immunity are more at risk for complications.

RECLUSE SPIDERS
Two species of recluse, the brown recluse and the Mediterranean recluse can be found in Ohio. They are usually between ¼” to ½” long. Their bodies are light brown with a distinct dark colored violin shape on their backs.

Recluse spiders are reclusive and tend to hide away in dark, infrequently traveled areas of a home. They’re typically found inside buildings, especially in the winter.

If bitten by a recluse, you might not experience immediate pain. The days following a bite, the toxin in the spider’s venom causes skin tissue around the bite to die (necrosis).

If you think you’ve been bitten by a widow or recluse spider, seek medical attention immediately! Use ice on the site to treat swelling and an OTC pain reliever to help with any pain and fever.

There are a few species of biting spiders that sometimes bite humans. While the venom of these spiders rarely causes a severe reaction, people who are particular sensitive may have mild pain and swelling associated with their bites.

YELLOW SAC SPIDER
The yellow sac spider is less than ½” long. It has a light colored body. They are nocturnal and typically hide during the day.

PARSON SPIDER
The parson spider is about ½” long. It has a dark colored body with pale markings. They’re very fast and usually hide under things.

GRASS SPIDER
Female grass spiders are usually about 8/10″ long, males are about 7/10″. Both sexes have long legs. They’re medium brown with dark brown stripes on their backs. They typically build a funnel shaped web in low corners.
I'm gonna take a picture once I see one again. It sounds like the grass spider. Their webs are what I described to my husband as a funnel in the corner of my window. They're are definitely some spiders in my grass in my backyard that have funnel webs that are just humungous. Our house is relatively clean for having 2 young kids but our basement is a dungeon.. it's dark down there and not sealed the best so I'm guessing they're coming from down there.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
The nice thing about spiders is that they typically don’t bite unprovoked. Don’t mess with them and they leave you alone.
I don't try to instigate the spiders lol I fray far away. They usually don't bug me but sometimes they are uncomfortably close... Like the other day I was feeding Elvis and I walked away and a big spider was on my face.... It must've been under his table or something and got in my hair when I went to plug the filter back in. That was waayyyy to close.. needless to say I screamed a little bit..

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I dont think there are any dangerous spiders over there. Maybe northern widow.. but they usually stay away

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Brown recluse are nothing nice