Keeping Russians Outside Year-Round in Brooklyn, NY

AbeCabot

5 Year Member
I am looking to permanently move my adult Russian tortoise to a new outdoor enclosure in Brooklyn, New York, where the average coldest winter temperatures are 25º Fahrenheit in February, with snow. As I prepare to construct his new outdoor enclosure, is there any feature or method I should keep in mind in order to set him up for success living outside year round under such conditions? I am looking for classic or creative solutions that don't involve any artificial or active intervention such as heat lamps, brumation in fridges, etc. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As long as he's kept dry and the temperature doesn't get below freezing he can brumate outside. Mine are put into an insulated cinder block shelter on the carport. Dry and it doesn't freeze.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I am looking to permanently move my adult Russian tortoise to a new outdoor enclosure in Brooklyn, New York, where the average coldest winter temperatures are 25º Fahrenheit in February, with snow. As I prepare to construct his new outdoor enclosure, is there any feature or method I should keep in mind in order to set him up for success living outside year round under such conditions? I am looking for classic or creative solutions that don't involve any artificial or active intervention such as heat lamps, brumation in fridges, etc. Thank you!
I'd love to see pictures of your tort and the space you'll be using... my home gets too cold to safely have my Russians live outside full time, but I love the idea!

Jamie