Indoor Year Round

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
my tortoise lives indoor all year bc i live in ohio where during the summer it’s not consistently warm enough for him to live outside. i do take him outside whenever it is warm enough so he can get out and graze and get some exercise, so i do recommend doing that whenever it’s warm enough. as long as your indoor enclosure is set up correctly, you should have no issue with yours being inside all year :) my tortoise’s vet said he’s extremely healthy so it is possible!
Right on. I think in the summer here in Toronto is quite warm and humid. The nights may get down to 15, but don't think that's an issue for Temperate species such as Hermanns, Russians, Greeks.

I don't trust vets at all! They are ok for emergencies, but most of them are terrible when it comes to diet, prevention, etc. Always felt like you are battling upselling there and I hate that used car salesman feeling from a vet. I get that they have a business, but there are living things involved and a lot of unnecessary treatments. There is no point to vaccinate a dog every year and feed them kibble every day. But that's another topic...lol

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
I think the kiddie pool would be the way for you to go for some outdoor time. Put some holes in the bottom and throw in some pesticide clean dirt and plant grass and other edible items. Put in a water dish and a hide and you have a nice tortoise enclosure for those warm days. If you have dogs to worry about then do a table with drainage holes and plant stuff in that.
I know you mentioned something about lizards and snakes. My lizards always got to go outside too during summer and so did my bird. If there's a will, there is a way.
Good ideas and points! I may do that this year for sure and should probably get on that now to give some time for the grass and weeds to grow.

Right, lizards and birds should also have the pleasure of being outside. My boa doesn't need to be, even though I did have a UV bulb in his enclosure, but he was never seen basking under it or out in the open during the day whatsoever.

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
Already got a response from Greg West at Cornel's. He built an 8x3 out of PVC for someone who had a Redfoot (I know that's small for a Redfoot so hope it's temporary). Think a Hermanns would protest the difference of 1ft less wide? lol Unsatisfactory Daddy! See attached. Was made with two 4x3 enclosures with a passthrough and you join them together, but the entire thing is assembled yourself at home with screws and silicone for sealing. No idea of cost yet, but can't be cheap! He can do two 4x4s to make a 8x4 total enclosure as well. I just don't know how I am going to reach in the back easily and I'm 6'2"! Contemplating...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 11.29.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 11.29.54 PM.png
    396.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Already got a response from Greg West at Cornel's. He built an 8x3 out of PVC for someone who had a Redfoot (I know that's small for a Redfoot so hope it's temporary). Think a Hermanns would protest the difference of 1ft less wide? lol Unsatisfactory Daddy! See attached. Was made with two 4x3 enclosures with a passthrough and you join them together, but the entire thing is assembled yourself at home with screws and silicone for sealing. No idea of cost yet, but can't be cheap! He can do two 4x4s to make a 8x4 total enclosure as well. I just don't know how I am going to reach in the back easily and I'm 6'2"! Contemplating...
Hmmm...joining 2 smaller enclosures together to make one big one. Sounds a little similar to my original plans lol. That enclosure looks great and yes, I imagine it’ll cost a small fortune. Because Hermann’s are burrowers I think you’d need a litter dam to get the substrate deep enough for NuNu to burrow as he/she gets bigger. I’ve never fully understood how people keep large closed chambers clean. It does seem it would be a challenge to spot clean. Not impossible though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm sure that enclosure to buy will not be cheap. It's pretty nice though.
Have you looked into raised garden beds or portable pop up greenhouses? I have used both for inside enclosures. Much cheaper then most prefabbed enclosures, lighter weight and can be fairly easy modified if needed. The tables come in a few different sizes, some on legs some not.
Also with a minimum of wood working skills you could build your own even adding a plexiglass or real glass if you wanted for a viewing window. Just a few ideas if the prefabbed is more then you want to spend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no reason why you can't stick two 4x4s together. Shouldn't cost any more either.

I'm 5'10" and never had any problem reaching the backs of my 4x8s. Sometimes I'd stand on a stool and stick my head in, but there is almost never any reason you'd need to reach all the way to the back. I put the food and waters bowls, and the hides all within easy reach.

8x3 isn't the end of the world, but since he's going to be in for most of his life, that extra 8 square feet will make a difference. 24 sq. ft. vs. 32 is a big difference. 33.333% difference.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you looked into raised garden beds or portable pop up greenhouses? I have used both for inside enclosures. Much cheaper then most prefabbed enclosures, lighter weight and can be fairly easy modified if needed. The tables come in a few different sizes, some on legs some not.
Also with a minimum of wood working skills you could build your own even adding a plexiglass or real glass if you wanted for a viewing window. Just a few ideas if the prefabbed is more then you want to spend.
The skyrocketing costs of materials have made it so that buying a pre-made enclosure is now about the same cost as buying the materials and spending hours building your own.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The skyrocketing costs of materials have made it so that buying a pre-made enclosure is now about the same cost as buying the materials and spending hours building your own.
My nephew did say something about 2x4's being over 5 bucks now for what used to be around 2 bucks. That might be a bigger reason though to DIY and save on labor costs.

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
There is no reason why you can't stick two 4x4s together. Shouldn't cost any more either.

I'm 5'10" and never had any problem reaching the backs of my 4x8s. Sometimes I'd stand on a stool and stick my head in, but there is almost never any reason you'd need to reach all the way to the back. I put the food and waters bowls, and the hides all within easy reach.

8x3 isn't the end of the world, but since he's going to be in for most of his life, that extra 8 square feet will make a difference. 24 sq. ft. vs. 32 is a big difference. 33.333% difference.
That's a really good point Tom. Also agree that the costs are super high, but I'm kind of a high end quality type guy and not sure I have the skills to make something look pro vs being built by me. AND if it's going to be for his lifetime, think the cost is relatively irrelevant. I am waiting to receive the costs. Obviously if it is over $3k CAD then I got some thinking to do. He's a hatchling, so do not believe I would be purchasing this year. First I want to see how much I will enjoy him/her before committing to those kinds of costs that in the event I would resell, would barely recover any costs. For the meantime it may make sense to make a more feasible enclosure until I KNOW HE'S THE ONE. lolol

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
Hmmm...joining 2 smaller enclosures together to make one big one. Sounds a little similar to my original plans lol. That enclosure looks great and yes, I imagine it’ll cost a small fortune. Because Hermann’s are burrowers I think you’d need a litter dam to get the substrate deep enough for NuNu to burrow as he/she gets bigger. I’ve never fully understood how people keep large closed chambers clean. It does seem it would be a challenge to spot clean. Not impossible though.
Yes, they stole your idea Krista. LOL

Complete agree about the height from floor to glass. I would want 12" minimum for burrowing and to prevent him from looking outside so easily. 16" could be even better and more ideal I would think so you can have a good 8" of substrate with 8" wall before he can look outside teasing him that there is another world out there. lol

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
Thanks for the tips Wellington! I will have to look that stuff up. I am however looking for a more finished look (pro as they say). Maybe that's achievable with the methods you mention. Also, if I put him in the basement (which is likely due to 4x8' and two kids in not the biggest house, expanded PVC is an excellent insulated material to create a good ambient temp within, while using very little electricity. Adds up after 75 years. LOL