Keeping Pets?? $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I have to admit, in the past I have had a couple of the most wonderful Vets. They were of the "old fashioned" variety. They lacked many of the modern machines and techniques, but made up for it in experience, ingenuity, and heart. My last Vet and I shared laughter, shared many learning experiences, and cried together as we had to put animals to sleep. He knew I took in strays even tho I didn't have the money to be doing so. He would end up almost giving me his service for nothing more the bare cost of meds. He at the end was just doing the Vet practice as a way to keep from being bored. It was a emotional, as well as financial loss for me when he died.

It's been a couple of years and I still can't find a Vet that "fits". I had one Vet who came out and took care of my horses. I liked him, except he seem to act like as a fat old lady, I was not up to doing some of the basic shot giving myself. :( I managed to baby that horse thru just fine thank you. ;) :D

For the cats, I tried a new Vet in town. While I like the tech, the Vet does nothing for me at all. A short time back, I had a feral kitten/cat with a broken leg. That caused me to find out that this Vet had no xray machines. :( Knowing they lack full care abilities and I really dislike their office hours, I am having major doubts with them. They are pricey too. (Also doesn't help I had to do three sets of treatments and two types of meds on the last bunch of sick kittens with respiratory issues. Worse part is several still have some symptoms of it, just not major ones. :( There went a couple of hundred dollars I was saving for spaying their mothers. :( )

So I went back to the Vet, who did the horses. He was awesome with this feral cat who was so wild, she was sedated just to look at. Actually she attacked him, as he tried to get her out of the crate and then escaped to fly around the room a little. :rolleyes: I was so embarrassed, because this kitten/cat had a bad case of fleas. He just took it in stride. She also had ear mites and he patiently cleaned her ears out well.

He knew money was tight and this was a feral cat, so he (after Xray) made it clear she would be fine left as is. If I wanted, he could operate and even talked with his new assistant who offered to do the surgery for cost, if we decided to go that way. I mentioned I wish he would do spays for costs and he stated he couldn't due to all the associated things to doing one, but he could do neuters for a greatly reduced cost with my numbers. Ya know, I am starting to like this Vet. :D

To me, biggest thing is trusting my Vet and being able to work with him. I don't need the hand holding and if given the supplies am good at self doctoring. If money was completely no object, I would be visiting the Vet more often, I will admit that too. Spending sums of money on my "pets" is also easier to swallow, then spending the same on the feral cats who it always seems I get spayed and they die or leave. Yet those pesky unspayed ones, never get sick or die, they just bring me new bundles of furry joy. :rolleyes: My children remind me how much better my financial world would be, if I ignored all those hungry misfits who show up at my door. I spend over $8 a day on their food alone. Doesn't sound like so much until you do the math for a month or a year. :(

It's strange, I would never think of asking a doctor or dentist for humans to charge me less, but my poor Vet is another story. Never stopped to think about that.

To all the Vets who may read this... thank you for being so kind and generous to us stupid fools with bleeding hearts that sometimes over extend our bank accounts for these critters, and thus asking you to do the same for us. Your all a hero to us.

... still wish I'd gone on to be a Vet or atleast a Vet Tech. :D

exoticsdr said:
As far as I can tell, it would be cheaper for all of you to drive to Texas and let me do your surgeries. You can stay at the house, play with roos and after a day or two drive home and still be a couple hundred richer than you are now.

:D Wondering how many cats I can squeeze into how many kennels that would leave room for a driver in the vehicle still....

Soooo like how many spay and neuter on cats could you do in a day? :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
terryo said:
Then I had two of my dogs spaded, and that cost me $900.

13.gif

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!

I paid ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY DOLLARS for TWO SPAYS AND A NEUTER! And that was at the "expensive" vet! I just had my dog spayed, two cats neutered and one cat spayed for EIGHTY DOLLARS back in June! Holy CRAP!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
exoticsdr said:
As far as I can tell, it would be cheaper for all of you to drive to Texas and let me do your surgeries. You can stay at the house, play with roos and after a day or two drive home and still be a couple hundred richer than you are now.

:D Wondering how many cats I can squeeze into how many kennels that would leave room for a driver in the vehicle still....

If we did it on the down low so your hubby's boss didn't know about it, we could get quite a few animal crates in the big truck! :p

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Morty the Torty said:
I've been taking my 4 yr old puggle to Banfield since she was a baby and I love it there. At $25 a month I feel it's affordable for all her vet visits :)

We made the mistake of using Banfield and their pet insurance when I had 1st got my dog. I had not done my research. Thought it would be convienent to go there as I used Petsmarts puppy training as well. The vet was good (though she had to carry her inhaler around with her as she was allergic to animals :rolleyes: ) So after 3+ years of their service my dog got bladder stones. Anyway they wanted to do all kinds of tests ( they did do an x-ray and blood work) to determine she had bladder stones and wanted to charge an outrageous fee for surgery. My mother-in-law suggested we talk to her vet. She did the surgery for about 1/3 of the price and found a lump in her chest that we had not noticed. Turns out it was the tip of a needle that had encapsulated after it had broke off in her. She removed this as well. Spoke to Banfield and told them why we were not coming back and they expected us to continue to pay for the insurance. After much fighting with the company I was finally able to get out of the insurance since the broken needle was their fault. Did a google search on Banfield insurance and then read what terrible things people had to say about them. My new vet told us it was not worth getting insurance for the dogs, but would be better to have a separate account for them "just in case".
There is 1 avian vet around here. Costs $150 just to walk in the door. no treatment. Because of this we usually end of treating our poultry ourselves, usually with good results. Our vet will help us get needed meds if we can't get it at the local feed store. She does not treat poultry, but has raised ducks herself.
Our exotic vet is the best! I can call him for advice and he will tell me what he thinks and he is mobile so if I need him to come here he will :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Jacqui said:
exoticsdr said:

If we did it on the down low so your hubby's boss didn't know about it, we could get quite a few animal crates in the big truck! :p

If we used the entire trailer, we might even be able to fit in all the ones that need to be taken care of. :D

M

Maggie Cummings

As a truck driver I used to make a lot of deliveries for ConAgra to McAllen/Phar and San Antonio. Are you around there? Mile after mile of nothing but cactus and bushes (the plant kind) I like Texas, I like the people and the rednecks. But it seems like it takes so much time to drive anywhere. Also you really have to watch out for deer between El Paso, Laredo and McAllen. There are sooomany! Then of course, it finally happened and it was out in the middle of nowhere between Laredo and McAllen with no help. They had to send a tow truck from San Antonio. I was broke down on the side of the road for 14 hours then for 3 days while they repaired my truck. Also the Mexicans and the big Bubba truck drivers really have it against lady drivers. They think we can't do the job. I got into several backing contests with big bubbas, sorry... I guess all that is kinda off topic...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
emysemys said:
Jacqui said:
exoticsdr said:

If we used the entire trailer, we might even be able to fit in all the ones that need to be taken care of. :D

Well, duh! When I say "big truck" it means the trailer too!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
carecredit.com is a good place to check out for those time when you need a little extra to help pay a bill..
pets are expensive..

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Jacqui said:
I have to admit, in the past I have had a couple of the most wonderful Vets. They were of the "old fashioned" variety. They lacked many of the modern machines and techniques, but made up for it in experience, ingenuity, and heart. My last Vet and I shared laughter, shared many learning experiences, and cried together as we had to put animals to sleep. He knew I took in strays even tho I didn't have the money to be doing so. He would end up almost giving me his service for nothing more the bare cost of meds. He at the end was just doing the Vet practice as a way to keep from being bored. It was a emotional, as well as financial loss for me when he died.

It's been a couple of years and I still can't find a Vet that "fits". I had one Vet who came out and took care of my horses. I liked him, except he seem to act like as a fat old lady, I was not up to doing some of the basic shot giving myself. :( I managed to baby that horse thru just fine thank you. ;) :D

For the cats, I tried a new Vet in town. While I like the tech, the Vet does nothing for me at all. A short time back, I had a feral kitten/cat with a broken leg. That caused me to find out that this Vet had no xray machines. :( Knowing they lack full care abilities and I really dislike their office hours, I am having major doubts with them. They are pricey too. (Also doesn't help I had to do three sets of treatments and two types of meds on the last bunch of sick kittens with respiratory issues. Worse part is several still have some symptoms of it, just not major ones. :( There went a couple of hundred dollars I was saving for spaying their mothers. :( )

So I went back to the Vet, who did the horses. He was awesome with this feral cat who was so wild, she was sedated just to look at. Actually she attacked him, as he tried to get her out of the crate and then escaped to fly around the room a little. :rolleyes: I was so embarrassed, because this kitten/cat had a bad case of fleas. He just took it in stride. She also had ear mites and he patiently cleaned her ears out well.

He knew money was tight and this was a feral cat, so he (after Xray) made it clear she would be fine left as is. If I wanted, he could operate and even talked with his new assistant who offered to do the surgery for cost, if we decided to go that way. I mentioned I wish he would do spays for costs and he stated he couldn't due to all the associated things to doing one, but he could do neuters for a greatly reduced cost with my numbers. Ya know, I am starting to like this Vet. :D

To me, biggest thing is trusting my Vet and being able to work with him. I don't need the hand holding and if given the supplies am good at self doctoring. If money was completely no object, I would be visiting the Vet more often, I will admit that too. Spending sums of money on my "pets" is also easier to swallow, then spending the same on the feral cats who it always seems I get spayed and they die or leave. Yet those pesky unspayed ones, never get sick or die, they just bring me new bundles of furry joy. :rolleyes: My children remind me how much better my financial world would be, if I ignored all those hungry misfits who show up at my door. I spend over $8 a day on their food alone. Doesn't sound like so much until you do the math for a month or a year. :(

It's strange, I would never think of asking a doctor or dentist for humans to charge me less, but my poor Vet is another story. Never stopped to think about that.

To all the Vets who may read this... thank you for being so kind and generous to us stupid fools with bleeding hearts that sometimes over extend our bank accounts for these critters, and thus asking you to do the same for us. Your all a hero to us.

... still wish I'd gone on to be a Vet or atleast a Vet Tech. :D

exoticsdr said:

Probably more than you could squeeze into your vehicle. haha

emysemys said:
Jacqui said:
emysemys said:
Jacqui said:
exoticsdr said:

Well, duh! When I say "big truck" it means the trailer too!!

Now I'm starting to get frightened! Did I mention that it's best to call for an appointment? hahaha

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D If I could catch everybody who comes to my place for food let's see...

we would need to fit in....

17 known females
19 known males
and then about 6-8 unknown gender cats and kittens.

So ya, I think I might need an appointment. :D

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I think it all depends on the location... my cat cost about 50 dollars to get spayed and maybe 100 to get her worms and earmites treated and all of that includes the vets fee. But I don't know anyone to take my torts to if they needed it so.. that could be tricky.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Jacqui said:

17 known females
19 known males

That's alot of kitties!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
exoticsdr said:
Jacqui said:

17 known females
19 known males

That's alot of kitties!!

Yes it is. :D I actually do have some that are spayed and neutered. :rolleyes: Just seems like the only ones that end up leaving or dead are the ones I have already had fixed. :( Before I went on the road a few years back, I had only one female not fixed and just a handful of males. Since then we seem to have picked up a huge influx of strays and as a result a few kittens into the mix. With the vast numbers to care for, you can see why to me even saving a few dollars per animal can make a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.