Kane Mat vs Stanfield

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
We are big fans of the Stanfield "Pig Blankets" for our torts, but recently ordered a Kane Mat. We ordered a Kane Mat due to how high of a price Stanfields are now, just crazy. My question is .... The Kane Mat is almost 1 inch thick vs the Pig blanket being less than 1/4 of an inch. Does anyone have problems with the torts sitting on the Kane Mats? Our torts kinda "straddle" the mats, some of the shell on and some off to better regulate temps. With this mat being so thick I doubt they will do the same thing, wondering how your torts act.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've only ever used the Kane mats and never had any problem at all with them or the tortoises using them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Only problem I have with Kane is out of two, one is still lasting the other died after only about 2 or 3 years of half a year use each.
The other is going on 8-9 years.
Torts have no problem using them.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have only used 1 Stanfield mat. It is triangle shaped and fits into the corner of a sleeping box made for a large species...my mat will be 19 years old this year...It has had several big Sulcata sleeping on it, peeing on it and pooping on it, yet...it just keeps on ticking...(remember that commercial?)...it is on a rheostat...that turns down the mat in summer and up all winter...Mary K moves on and off the mat all night but stays in the sleeping box...I highly recommend a Stanfield mat simply cuz this one has lasted so long...remember...ya get what ya pay for...100_0785.JPG

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Maggie3fan ... I hear ya. I have only used "Pig Blankets" (Stanfield) heat mats with fantastic results. I to have ones that are older than 15 years and work just fine. I even have the exact same one you have pictured, it is used on the ceiling though. My house (right now) is only 32" tall, building our big guy Moe a new house in the next few weeks as well as another for Doc. It's too late now since I've already bought it but will I think go back to Stanfield, once I save more pennies.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Stanfield is a superior product and worth every penny. Others are not long term options, they have a plastic enclosure that will warp/crack and know for power cord pulling out = repair/replace (that’s why they sell them). Stanfield is fiberglass you can feel the difference as noted and the power line is indestructible. But to each their own!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another vote here for Stansfield. I've been using them for probably around 30 years. I've had failure of the F911 controller, but never of the mat. I did receive one from the factory that looked like it had been repaired on the bottom, a patch of fiberglass over what looked to be a crack. It was sold to me as new. After using it one winter I noticed black burned marks around the patch, causing me to think it had leaked. The company, Osborne Industries, replaced the pig blanket after I sent them pictures.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
WELL check out this .... @Yvonne G gave us our first Mat, Stanfield 2'x3' almost 14 years ago. On March 1, 2024 (when the original thread was going and @Maggie3fan showed her triangle mat) when I did my nightly rounds I noticed a cold Mat in the sulcata pen .. What the ... It was the mat given to us by @Yvonne G, it had finally given up after 13+ years of us having it and no telling how long she used it. I took it as a "SIGN" that nightly rounds checking all aspects of there pens is a VERY IMPORTANT. If I would have not noticed that Moe our Big Sulcata would have been Cold and uncomfortable. So glad I do checks every night. But it did show me how long they can last. I will take a pic today and show it, thought the thread was dying so I just left it unsaid.
Coincidences in Life Should Always Be Questioned. You might find "Everything Happens For a Reason."