Heating Mats: Kane vs Zoo Med ReptiTherm® Habitat Heater

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings all

I'm looking to add a heating mat to our enclosure for our 2.5 year old 30 llb Sulcata. I know a lot of folks use and recommend Kane pig blanket/mats, but I see the Zoo Med ReptiTherm Habitat Heater is also out there. Same size, same heating wattage, half the price. The 18x18 inch Kane is $85.00 whereas the ZooMed $49.00.

Any recommendations? @Tom @Yvonne G

I'm creating a Poll for this one, so, please vote!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Kane mats have redundant safeties built in. More safety on an electric heating device that will be under my tortoise is well worth it to me.

I run mine on a separate thermostat too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks Tom, appreciate the fast response. I know Kane is the "go to" mat for most and has a great reputation in the Ag industry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use Osborne Industries' Stansfield heat pads. Been using them for over 30 years. I've had a few of the controllers fail, but never a pig blanket failure, except for when one of my over 200lbs tortoises broke off an edge, exposing the wire inside.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
iI have no experience with the Kane or the larger ZooMed mats. I have been using Stanfield mats with great satisfaction with my larger tortoises for years. I prefer using a rheostat over a thermostat. With a thermostat it's all or nothing, 0% or 100% constantly turning off and on to keep the temps where you want them,With a rheostat whether using inside, or outside in a well insulated house you can adjust the temps to a range where you them to stay. The Stanfield mats are set to run about 30 degrees above the surrounding temps if no controller is used. A big factor in it's efficiency is the base it is setting on. Also a second heat source like an incandescent light bulb a che or oil filled heater in the enclosure or house will effect how to adjust the mat wattage which is easy using a rheostat.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I've been using the zoomed habitat heater along with a Radiant heat panel in my leopard's insulated outside enclosure. Both devices are connected to a reptitemp thermostat. I have it set the low 80's. So far so good. Used it since May this year.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
I have a kane mat for my two burmese black mountain torts with a heat mat thermostat by Hydrofarm . It's working great too. I think any of the heat mats and thermostats mentioned before me will be fine. I picked the kane because it was available at the right size and price when I purchased it.
Good luck and best wishes on your final choice.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm still really confused by all the choices. I have a radiant heat panel in the roof and this thermostat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01486LZ50/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
You can plug two things into it and they would both go on and off depending on the temperature set. I can't figure out which Kane (or other brand) heat mat to get for the floor: one with a rheostat, one with a thermostat, or just a plain one, and whether it is smart to have them both plugged into the same controller. I think the Kane mats at Tortoise supply don't have either a rheostat or thermostat. If I get one of those, do I need to buy a separate rheostat beyond the controller I already have? Do I want to be able to set the temperature on the Kane mat to a lower or different temperature than my RHP?