Just rescued basketball sized sully - new to this and need advice

Location (City and/or State)
Southern US
Hello, everyone. I'm new and this will be long, so I'll highlight the important bits.

My boyfriend and I are the "reptile people" around our area and last night someone called my boyfriend to say that he'd had a turtle dumped on him by an old lady whose son had moved away and did we want it? He didn't have the means to care for it and was going to just let it go outside if we didn't want it, thinking, "it's a turtle. It'll be fine."

I had a baby sulcata years ago that belonged to an ex-boyfriend and I loved that thing. I have wanted one ever since, but never bought one because I know how hard they are to care for. But I can't say no when it's possibly life-or-death, so I asked my bf to take her in. We were told she would fit in a shoe box so I set up the largest cage I had with what I had on hand and went to pick her up. She was NOT shoe box size.

This girl (definitely female) is basketball sized and took a large sterilite tub to move her. I have her in a 4 foot vision cage and it is way too small for her. She has a basking spot, a hide box (literally a cardboard box because I had nothing else) and a water dish and not much room for anything else.

oSHmtHO.jpg

She has a basking bulb and a UVB bulb mounted inside the cage. The basking spot sits at around 92*. The cold side is about 75*. Her bedding is cypress mulch from lowes - no colorants or fertilizers.

The tortoise food container on top of the cage came with her. I bought the hay as well as some radish tops, collard greens, turnip greens, and various lettuces for her. The plants in her cage are live and tortoise-safe according to the list I found here. I forget what they're called though. She hasn't shown much interest in them.

I know she was being housed by the original owners outdoors without any heat source beside the sun, and her nighttime hide was a cardboard box. It's gotten down into the 40s here. I think she may have a bit of respiratory issue because I can hear whistling when she breathes out. It's not terrible though. What is the recommended treatment for a minor case like that?

I cannot house her outside just yet
as I am renting inside a trailer park. It's not as bad as it sounds as all the houses here are new, are the neighbors are mostly older people in retirement, but we're not allowed to put up fences. I can take her outside to bask and forage - I have been doing a lot of gardening lately just for fun so she'll soon have her pick of organic kale and lettuce. :) But she'll have to be an indoor tort until we move (hopefully next year).

We are considering building a wooden pen that would take up 1/3 of our living room and letting her live in that. Would this be feasible? Could anyone direct me to some good threads about such an endeavor?

RVzYv29.jpg

Lastly, I am no expert, but it looks like she has some pyramiding and slight deformities on the sides. Is that accurate? How can I prevent this from worsening and is it possible for a tort to grow out of it as they age?

Thanks everyone for any and all help. I will be spending today reading everything I can!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my...Poor thing! Because you're new to the hobby (?), you probably don't realize that tortoises are supposed to have smooth carapaces with no bumps, and should be dome shaped. Poor Morla is quite deformed and pyramided. Let's hope it's not life threatening. I'm thinking there may be a bit of MBD too, but you said she was an outdoor tortoise, so that's probably not so.

There's nothing can be done to make her look normal. She'll stay that shape for the rest of her life. But with good care, she will more than likely be able to live a long life.

I think you pen-in-the-living-room idea is a good one. Be sure to put down plastic on the floor first because you need to provide a moist substrate for Morla. Since she can't dig a burrow, and get down into the humid earth, you have to provide it for her.

Most of our articles on caring for sulcata tortoises are geared more towards hatchlings and younger tortoises, but read them anyway. You'll gain some insight into how Morla should be cared for. They are pinned at the top of our sulcata section.

So, in a nut shell - calcium rich greens, weeds and grasses with the occasional sprinkling of calcium powder, a good UVB light (not the spiral-shaped bulbs), a waterer, moist substrate, a rough tile or piece of cement to feed on and a couple of hiding places.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and one other thing. Most sulcatas we see are male, and it wouldn't surprise me if Morla is also male. Please show us a picture of her plastron (bottom shell) including the tail area, and we'll let you know for sure. Male sulcatas don't develop the concave plastron until a couple years AFTER they've reached sexual maturity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Easy questions first, yes, bad pyramiding and probably some MBD going on too. The pyramiding will not reverse. A good diet, sunshine and hydration will work wonders for her. I would keep the heat at 85 day and night until the wheezing sound goes away. Others will help more. Good luck

Southern US
Thanks for the replies. Until I can get a pen set up for her, will she be okay if she has run of the house while we're home and stays in her cage when we're not? It's not going to cause her any more harm is it? I took her for an hour's walk today and she stopped to try nibbling every little white shell she saw. I take it she's low on calcium. I have phosphorus-free calcium dust. Is it ok to dust her food with that? If so, how often? Here are some photos from the outing:

M6YZgDc.jpg

MbZAsvg.jpg

kgHmbcP.jpg

Pp8we10.jpg

She was really upset to have to go back inside, which was upsetting to me. :(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a beautiful girl! I hate that they have a life that gives them those kinds of carapaces, but I love them. I am glad her rough life has lead her to you. :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I use calcium dust ever few days. Put a cuttle bone in her enclosure and she should take care of this for you. Great name. Btw :)

Southern US
She really is! When I put her in for bed tonight she kept digging and digging and digging ... I finally got fed up and said, "ok, sheesh! I'll cover you!" so I went and got more bedding and piled it on top of her and she immediately went to sleep. -lol-

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
You "put her to bed" how sweet & tucked her in !
What a great tort & she knows she has a caring owner.
You took some great pics also ! Good luck with your
new tort. It was her destiny to end up with you guys.

You mention that you garden- would the neighborhood let
you have a large planter along the side of your home.
ya know, a tort garden maybe ??

Southern US
I sincerely doubt the neighborhood would let us do any edging of any sort - they came by one day to give us a notice when our back patio had gotten messy ... I HATE living in a place like this and had a long, heart-to-heart with the boyfriend about what our long-term plans were. He and I are both animal lovers, but I think I am much more than him. I told him to get his butt into gear because this tort will need an outdoor pen in a year or so... We'll see. Worst case scenario, the next door neighbor is my future mother-in-law (I know, I know!!) but she is very animal-friendly. We might be able to do a tort pen between our two houses. We'll see. But I've already put a fire under his butt. ;) He needed it. He's wanted a house and yard for forever but not had much motivation. NOW he does! -lol-

pebbles

5 Year Member
It sounds like you are doing an awesome job in caring for your new tort! Love the photos. This is a very fortunate tortoise to have found their way to someone so caring! :) I'm happy and excited for you and her both!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
you are doing a good job probably best by the tort in a while

i wouldn't let her have free run of the house she could pick up something and plus the temps and stuff aren't right it may feel warm to us but remember heat rises so it's cooler at tort level

Southern US
She only has free run of things when I'm following her around like a tot so I know she can't get into things. And I try to do it just around mid afternoon when the sun is coming through the windows and the dogs and cat are lying on the floor sunbathing so I know it's a bit warmer for her. :)