Rescued Sully

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
It's amazing how fast word of mouth can travel about my wife and I being tortoise people, especially when the number of people start calling about no longer wanting to care for them, that's where we come in. We've found new and very caring homes for a couple of them already and if it's someone with no true experience, I make sure that i know they've done their research and know what they're getting into! It amazes me even more that the number of these owners seriously think that taking care of a Sulcata is the equivalent of a dog. I've attached photos of our recent rescue. Diet wise, she's had a decent share of grass in her diet but was also fed things like peas and strawberries, other fruits and veggies just about everyday. She is 14 years old, about 55 lbs (much heavier than I expected). Currently my wife and I are in the hospital with our 3rd baby! Before coming in, we've soaked her for a long time a few times a day and letting her go to town in the yard. We've never cared for a Sulcata that looked this bad so I'm looking for great starting points for when we get back home, I can hit the ground running with her! Thanks in advance!

Also note, the pictures don't really do any justice

1500046813890.jpg 1500046827968.jpg

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Oh what a poor, poor tort !
The pictures of her, how she looks, hurts me. Good that you took her and gave her a new life, but the worse care of the past will never heal.
Poor thing !

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Definitely plenty of grass for her to eat. Went and bought a big pack of cuttlebones before we came to the hospital. My parents told me she's been very active and eating good. Today, we're going home though!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Her overall shape is ok and she is growing evenly. Heavy is good. I don't think you need to worry as much as you think. Just set her up proper going forward. The unknown would be urate build up, bladder stones. Definitely lots of soaking to see what you can flush out. If the urates are coming out like your picture shows, that is a good sign.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Most definitely. Passed urates on the car ride home and again when I put her in the pool. No telling the last time she had a good soak. With the way I saw her eating the other day, I figured it'll be pretty positive from here. Plus my parents said she's been chowin down since we've been gone. Looking forward to keeping track of this one's growth!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Naturally, the right food is important, but this poor guy's problem WAS that he was raised too dry. Probably in a small aquarium under a real hot light and on alfalfa pellets. Now that he's outside, just make sure that besides good grazing he has access to water, and water his yard frequently.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
The original owners are from Ohio, but the parents moved down here a while back. When the son came to visit, he brought her with him and pretty much dumped her in their hands. She definitely has plenty of room to graze and lots of water. No idea what Ohio weather is like but in South Carolina, this hot and humid weather is good for the soul and the sun shines on us All!

Bee62

Germany
Mayby it is a good idea to take the tort to a VET for a x-ray. The x-ray could show if there are any bladder stones from the dry start of her life.

Colorado
Hello I ain't no expert but I'll try and help. Fruits aren't very good for tortoises as they are acidic and can kill helpful bacteria so there will be health problems later and not all veggies are healthy for a tortoise and I'm curious as to what veggies your feeding them. The image you showed the tortoise looks distressed and unhealthy I'd take it to a vet for an X-ray and a Swab. I hope they get better. :(:<3:

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Hello I ain't no expert but I'll try and help. Fruits aren't very good for tortoises as they are acidic and can kill helpful bacteria so there will be health problems later and not all veggies are healthy for a tortoise and I'm curious as to what veggies your feeding them. The image you showed the tortoise looks distressed and unhealthy I'd take it to a vet for an X-ray and a Swab. I hope they get better. :(:<3:
The reason you should not feed fruit to non fruit eating species is not because it is acidic. Rather, it is because of fruits being high in sugars, which they cannot digest properly.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
They get fruits only once every 2 weeks mixed in with other greens. Just have to give it to them in moderation

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
They get fruits only once every 2 weeks mixed in with other greens. Just have to give it to them in moderation
I'm sure that it won't hurt her, to give fruit every once in a while, but I wouldn't. She looks as though she's been through a lot, and I would give her the most heathy diet that you can.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
I'm sure that it won't hurt her, to give fruit every once in a while, but I wouldn't. She looks as though she's been through a lot, and I would give her the most heathy diet that you can.

Yes, with the exception of her! Strictly grass and greens for a good while!