Help!!!! Just Rescued Sulcata

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
If you aren’t likely to be moving to somewhere with a yard/garden in the next two years then I would find a new home for this sulcata. You are definitely trying your best, and mustn’t feel guilty, but this sulcata needs space and will soon be too heavy to lift
Thank you, I have only had her 4 weeks tomorrow so I will do my best now and cross that bridge when i come to it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!! I will order that!! Also, for the substrate in her hide should i use CoCoir as well? I was going to section off an area for her hide or should i make a hide? I have seen various ideas and am not sure which is best!

Fine grade orchid bark works best as a substrate for sulcatas. Coco coir is okay, but its too messy.

I use upside down dishwashing tubs from Walmart for hides, but your tortoise might be a little to big for that now...

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Fine grade orchid bark works best as a substrate for sulcatas. Coco coir is okay, but its too messy.

I use upside down dishwashing tubs from Walmart for hides, but your tortoise might be a little to big for that now...
Thank you!! I will see if i can find the Fine Grade Orchard Bark Anywhere. Coco Coir is definitely messy, i cant stand it. Where do you purchase your substrate from?

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

HI Tom. I’ve decided to do a closed chamber. What’s the best way to go about putting the heat lamps on top? I will mount the two uvb strips at the top of the enclosure on the side-19 inches up. . But how should I do the heat ones? I will need two basking areas correct because of the size ? Then I will need to put my night time ceramic bulb someplace. The top will lift open in 3 separate pieces. I could cut a whole the light can shine thru each of the enclosure openings. I appreciate your help!

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Hello and welcome.

Can we see a pic of the tortoise and enclosure?

The florescent tubes need to be mounted over head and not on the sides.

72 is too cool at night, especially with humidity. Use a ceramic heating element, or two, set on a thermostat to keep temps above 80 day and night.

Here are a couple more threads in addition to the one that Maro2Bear linked for you:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

This is Delilah!!

Attachments

• DF168DB7-5978-4587-8ABB-19A452598B86.jpeg
    DF168DB7-5978-4587-8ABB-19A452598B86.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • E537F6A2-595A-4B3F-BD5A-54C399609E7C.jpeg
    E537F6A2-595A-4B3F-BD5A-54C399609E7C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • A9643583-4994-4962-B1B2-C492D4CB6708.jpeg
    A9643583-4994-4962-B1B2-C492D4CB6708.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • A61AFA4B-9E20-47D8-8EC6-389D50448ABC.jpeg
    A61AFA4B-9E20-47D8-8EC6-389D50448ABC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!! I will see if i can find the Fine Grade Orchard Bark Anywhere. Coco Coir is definitely messy, i cant stand it. Where do you purchase your substrate from?

I get it at my local garden center. The big hardware store chains usually don't carry it. Its only about $10 for a 2.0 cubic foot bag of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HI Tom. I’ve decided to do a closed chamber. What’s the best way to go about putting the heat lamps on top? I will mount the two uvb strips at the top of the enclosure on the side-19 inches up. . But how should I do the heat ones? I will need two basking areas correct because of the size ? Then I will need to put my night time ceramic bulb someplace. The top will lift open in 3 separate pieces. I could cut a whole the light can shine thru each of the enclosure openings. I appreciate your help!

Make the box at least 24" tall and hang all the lights inside. Putting them on top will waste most of your heat, and it will create a chimney effect that draws all of your heat and humidity up and out, which defeats the purpose of a closed chamber.

Your florescent bulbs need to be mounted on the ceiling too. Not on the sides. Mounting UV tubes to the side of the enclosure can cause eye damage due to the angles.

I'd use a heat lamp on one side or the other, and then have two CHEs, or two RHPs, set on a single thermostat to spread the heat out.

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Make the box at least 24" tall and hang all the lights inside. Putting them on top will waste most of your heat, and it will create a chimney effect that draws all of your heat and humidity up and out, which defeats the purpose of a closed chamber.

Your florescent bulbs need to be mounted on the ceiling too. Not on the sides. Mounting UV tubes to the side of the enclosure can cause eye damage due to the angles.

I'd use a heat lamp on one side or the other, and then have two CHEs, or two RHPs, set on a single thermostat to spread the heat out.

Thank you!! So at 24 inches they can hang directly from the top? Also using the strip lights, mount on the ceiling as well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For the slate for her to eat off of, can I elevate that on bricks? I don’t want to leave the slate sit on the substrate with the moisture

It should lay flat.

I prefer to use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for food. It tends to hold the food where you want it a little better.

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
It should lay flat.

I prefer to use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for food. It tends to hold the food where you want it a little better.

Okay got that part squared away. Thank you!! I ordered 2 of the zoomed reptisun 10.0 24 inch bulbs but now I’m confused which fixtures to order? Thank you in advance!!