Just lost a baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

pk2610

5 Year Member
Sorry to say, he did not make it. My almost 4-months old baby leopard died this afternoon. I kind of expected that something was wrong because he did not gained any weight since I had him. I tried everything to make him eat but he just didn’t grow. He was really tiny to begin with when I first got him 3 months ago.

I soaked and fed him this morning before I went to work. He was still OK and eating his food. When I returned his was gone… too young too soon. I buried him in the backyard under a small palm three, next to my baby sulcata died in July.

I want to know if Leopard hatchlings are more fragile than others. I read a lot of people in this forum who lost their baby leopards.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out in my prior posts regarding the issues on my baby.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sorry to hear about this.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
So sorry for the loss of your little one. I dont own leopards and don't know much about them so I can't help with your question..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Second, I would love to learn from your situation, so that it might be prevented in the future, but this is not the appropriate place or time for that. If you reach that point, please let me, us, know.

To answer your question: I don't find it any harder to keep leopard babies alive than any other species.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
What a heartbreaking thing to happen. I'm so sorry for your loss.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I am really sorry about your loss :(

Like Tom it would be good if we could learn from your experience, but only if you are willing to share as I understand how hard it must be to loose such a young tortoise.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
So sorry for your loss. Sadly, I awoke this morning to find that my hatchling Hermanns has died too.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like.

Again, so sorry

LORI

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It was sad enough to start this thread knowing one little guy didn't make it, but to learn there is now also another one. Heart breaking. :( *hugs to both of you*.

I don't know if they are indeed more likely to fail to survive as hatchlings, it sure does feel like it sometimes. My thought is, yes atleast in the wild they are, due to the number of eggs laid by a female. Captivity changes a lot of those more natural odds around in their favor of survival. If these are true hatchlings deemed to not be fully equipped to survive hatchling stage, then odds are that the species with more eggs, thus more hatchlings, should then have more natural failures. Just my belief, nothing that has or most likely can, ever be determined to be real or not.

I agree that we need brave folks like you to tell us (when and if your ever able) the details of these short lives, to help us perhaps find causes of these seemingly failure to thrive hatchlings and thus turn them into surviving hatchlings in the future.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh Kai...I'm so very sorry!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
So sorry to hear of this. I was hoping your little one would make it. ((hugs))

Status
Not open for further replies.