Just got my hatchling hermann!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongislandPhan

5 Year Member
Hey everyone

Yesterday i shipped off my redfoot to his new home in sarasota FL and today i received my hatchling hermann from GBtortoises! I cant believe how small he is! I have a few questions though about hatchling care:

1. Humidity: What do you feel is the optimal humidity level for hatchlings?

2. Substrate: He's not in the main table yet because he's to tiny so he's in a Rubbermaid bin with coir substrate but every time he gets out of the water it sticks allover him including his head and eyes. I have cyprus mulch and a coir mix in the table, should i put cyprus in with this little guy?

3. Food: Any thing different from adults?

4. General knowledge tips? I spent a lot of time,effort, and resources planning for the well being of these tortoises and i don't want my first hatchling to be a failure! Anything you wish you knew when you had hermann hatchlings for the first time?

Thanks for all the help

-Nick

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will let others that have hermanns answer your questions. I just wanted to say congrats.

LongislandPhan

5 Year Member
Thanks! here are some pics
-Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0878_zpsbf10200b.jpg
    IMG_0878_zpsbf10200b.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0889_zps2d12ee03.jpg
    IMG_0889_zps2d12ee03.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0888_zps01556262.jpg
    IMG_0888_zps01556262.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0886_zps58df3f88.jpg
    IMG_0886_zps58df3f88.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0887_zpsa414de7f.jpg
    IMG_0887_zpsa414de7f.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
LongislandPhan said:
Hey everyone

Yesterday i shipped off my redfoot to his new home in sarasota FL and today i received my hatchling hermann from GBtortoises! I cant believe how small he is! I have a few questions though about hatchling care:

1. Humidity: What do you feel is the optimal humidity level for hatchlings?

2. Substrate: He's not in the main table yet because he's to tiny so he's in a Rubbermaid bin with coir substrate but every time he gets out of the water it sticks allover him including his head and eyes. I have cyprus mulch and a coir mix in the table, should i put cyprus in with this little guy?

3. Food: Any thing different from adults?

4. General knowledge tips? I spent a lot of time,effort, and resources planning for the well being of these tortoises and i don't want my first hatchling to be a failure! Anything you wish you knew when you had hermann hatchlings for the first time?

Thanks for all the help

-Nick

Nick,

I emailed you a care sheet that should help to answer the above questions but briefly:

1. 50-70% is their "comfort" range. Young tortoises should not be exposed to lower than that except briefly. Higher ambient humidity is fine even up into the mid 80% level as long as they have adequate air and it's not too cold (below60ish).

2. Cypress mulch is fine for adults but too coarse for babies. It does not hold moisture well enough and is not solid for good footing. A better substrate would be some combination of organic potting or top soil mixed with coconut coir. I've tried different combinations and found that about 60% soil and 30% coconut coir works well. To this I add ground up dried leaves and sphagnum moss. It's probably not necessary but it seems to hold moisture that much better.

3. Babies can be fed exactly the same diet as adults, just in much smaller portions.

4. The two best general tips I can think of for Hermann hatchling success is to keep them well hydrated by means of constant drinking water, substrate moisture and correct air humidity. Probably the most important tip is not keep them too hot! So many people keep them consistently hot day and night which causes the tortoise to be in a constant state of trying to remain hydrated. They need a 15-20 degree drop in temperature and night. During the daytime Hermann's are most active when temperatures are in the mid to high 70's. When temperatures begin to reach the mid 80's and above they'll usually find a place to hide and wait out the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.