New Hermann Hatchling

Perkins6

Location (City and/or State)
Taunton
Hello,

Yesterday I got my first Hermann Hatchling, he's settling in really well. He's in an open top tortoise table, with a MVB lamp and has a humid hide with moss inside (which he hasn't used yet). The basking spot temp is around 32 degrees but the humidity is always around 30%? Which from what I understand is way to low for a 9 month hatchling?

I spray down the substrate (top soil and sand) but it never changes? I have also read not to make the substrate to damp as then it causes respiratory issues?

Is there anything else I can do to increase the humidity?
I am going from the Komodo thermo- hygrometer, is it worth buying just a hygrometer to see if it is more accurate?

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Change out your substrate from top soil and sand to either small particle fir bark or coco coir, then pour a pitcherful of water over it and mix it up with your hand. Pat it down to make it easier to walk on then cover the enclosure, lights and all.

Reactions: Ink

Perkins6

Taunton
Okay that's brilliant thank you, I'll get some Coco coir! How would you suggest I cover everything?

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Hello,

Yesterday I got my first Hermann Hatchling, he's settling in really well. He's in an open top tortoise table, with a MVB lamp and has a humid hide with moss inside (which he hasn't used yet). The basking spot temp is around 32 degrees but the humidity is always around 30%? Which from what I understand is way to low for a 9 month hatchling?

I spray down the substrate (top soil and sand) but it never changes? I have also read not to make the substrate to damp as then it causes respiratory issues?

Is there anything else I can do to increase the humidity?
I am going from the Komodo thermo- hygrometer, is it worth buying just a hygrometer to see if it is more accurate?

Thank you
I tried and gave up trying to keep humidity and temprature up in an open table after about a week, I even covered to open area at night to help with humidity and temprature. My little guy ended up with a respiratory infection because the temps wouldn't stay up. I went to a fully enclosed enclosure and now temp and humidity is much easier to maintain. I also went to coconut fiber substrate and everything is working out now. My humidity runs from mid 70's to 80 and I don't let my ambient temperatures drop below 82, so far so good. Good luck.

Perkins6

Taunton
I tried and gave up trying to keep humidity and temprature up in an open table after about a week, I even covered to open area at night to help with humidity and temprature. My little guy ended up with a respiratory infection because the temps wouldn't stay up. I went to a fully enclosed enclosure and now temp and humidity is much easier to maintain. I also went to coconut fiber substrate and everything is working out now. My humidity runs from mid 70's to 80 and I don't let my ambient temperatures drop below 82, so far so good. Good luck.

Aw thank you, everything I read prior to getting him suggested a open top table rather than enclosed but seems as though maybe enclosed is better!!!