Just felt like sharing

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I noticed there's been a lot of talk lately about mvb's. I did a little experiment of my own, I'm just merely sharing the results. I don't have enough experience with tortoises, tortoise lighting, anything tortoise related to have a debate with anybody. This is my first tortoise. That's not the purpose of my post, I'm just merely sharing my own personal results. A little background for anyone who is not up to speed with my tortoise Sheldon. We got Sheldon when he was roughly three months old. He stayed the next two and a half years of his life with my ex, and the last 9 months with me. Up until 2 weeks ago Saturday, he was kept in an open top tortoise table. Lighting and heat consisted of 100W CHE, and two 125W Exo Terra MVB's. The temps under the CHE were 85-90, MVB's one was 95° and the other 100° on average, temps fluctuated a little bit with the varying room temperature. Everywhere else in the enclosure was at room temperature, which most of the winter was around 73 to 74°. That said, the majority of his day was spent huddling underneath his MVB, and at night huddling underneath his CHE. When I got him back from my ex, he showed the obvious signs of pyramiding, and a very dry shell. Then I found you guys, learned all about closed chambers, and panicked because I knew I wasn't doing a whole lot of anything right. I didn't have the money at the time, or the know-how to build a closed chamber. I did the daily soakings, I misted his shell down a few times a day, I kept the substrate dry with the fear of not being able to keep the entire enclosure at a controlled 80 degrees or above. I also started using that stuff called Nature's Zone Shell Saver which is kind of a glorified coconut oil marketed four turtles and tortoises. It claimed that it would keep the shell moistened, and keep it from drying out. I was desperate, so I've used that product since November. I've applied it once a week, every week up until 2 weeks ago when I finally got Sheldon into a closed chamber. I'm not here to advocate this product, definitely not here to advocate MVB's, and I definitely do not want to entice new members to follow the shortcuts that I was forced to take. If I could have had a closed chamber built immediately after getting Sheldon back, that is the route I would have taken. I like the idea of natural humidity inside a closed chamber, versus rubbing something that smells like lotion all over him. Back to my little experiment that I was talking about, I applied it to his entire shell the entire time. Starting in mid-January I continue to apply it everywhere with the exception of the bottom half of his lower back scutes. I wanted to see if they would look any different being exposed dry all the time to a MVB, compared to the rest of the shell that was being artificially moistened. Here are the pictures of my results, the majority of the shell to me looks like it grew relatively smooth, and looks relatively healthy. The parts of the shell in the last few pictures that were not exposed to artificial moisture,(sum did get on it sumtimes, but not alot) and exposed to the same MVB appear super dry, have had consistent peeling, and I believe they we're experiencing the desiccating effect you guys talk about. So I can only imagine what a MVB would have done to his entire shell. Just soaking, and spraying the shell down alone without anything else, I think his shell would be in very rough shape right now from his MVB. Anyways, I had just joked with somebody the other day about writing a 2000 word essay, and now I just wrote one. Once again, I'm not trying to prove anything, advocate anyting, just sharing my own personal results. If you made it all the way through, thank you for reading.20180709_082814.jpeg20180709_082902_HDR.jpeg20180709_083231.jpeg20180709_083235.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One of our members always used vita shell on his two leopards since hatchling size. He also used a high humidity and I believe the closed chamber. His leopards look great and very smooth. I do believe the vita shell works and it seems your stuff does too. The closed chdmver high humidity is a better way I believe, more natural but a shell conditioner could be an added help.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
One of our members always used vita shell on his two leopards since hatchling size. He also used a high humidity and I believe the closed chamber. His leopards look great and very smooth. I do believe the vita shell works and it seems your stuff does too. The closed chdmver high humidity is a better way I believe, more natural but a shell conditioner could be an added help.
I was actually looking for the vita shell on line when I came across this. It smells kind of girly lol. Humidity has been staying in the 90s in his new enclosure, so I think I'm going to limit myself to using the Shell Saver once a month or so.

Melis

Maryland
I’ve always admired his shell. Have you ever received any negative feedback from anyone about the use of that product? Like possible harmful effects?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Remember when I commented on Sheldon’s Shell? I ordered the shell saver that day and it just came in today! Both of mine are in enclosed chambers with 100w mvb . Basking temp is is around 101 and area temp stays 84 in one and 83 in the other (f). I think all my conditions are right but I don’t think extra conditioning can hurt.. I haven’t used it yet.. thinking of using it on one but not the other just to see the difference???

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I’ve always admired his shell. Have you ever received any negative feedback from anyone about the use of that product? Like possible harmful effects?
I've Googled it many times, I haven't found any harmful information on it yet. I've seen some reviews where people question whether or not it works or not. I really bought it on a whim, I caught my daughter one time too putting it on her hands as a lotion. I just shook my head and laughed.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Remember when I commented on Sheldon’s Shell? I ordered the shell saver that day and it just came in today! Both of mine are in enclosed chambers with 100w mvb . Basking temp is is around 101 and area temp stays 84 in one and 83 in the other (f). I think all my conditions are right but I don’t think extra conditioning can hurt.. I haven’t used it yet.. thinking of using it on one but not the other just to see the difference???
I would love to see the side-by-side results, I hope you post them and look forward to seeing them. Since going to a closed chamber, now I'm just using a 65 watt flood bulb. With that and the fluorescent tube lights it's been staying just a hair over 90 during the day. On a side note, a little of the Shell Saver goes a long way. P.s. I do remember when you commented on his shell, and thank you again for the compliment[emoji4]

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Share how are you using it? Must say too stay away from the grow line areas. Are you doing that or putting it there too? I would recommend putting a small amount on. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe any access off.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Share how are you using it? Must say too stay away from the grow line areas. Are you doing that or putting it there too? I would recommend putting a small amount on. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe any access off.
No, I never knew that could be an issue. I wish I would have, thank you for sharing that. When he was in his table, I would put it on at night time when his heat lights were off, so it didn't bake underneath the heat. Then I would wipe the excess off in the morning with a clean cloth, and only once a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, I never knew that could be an issue. I wish I would have, thank you for sharing that. When he was in his table, I would put it on at night time when his heat lights were off, so it didn't bake underneath the heat. Then I would wipe the excess off in the morning with a clean cloth.
I just remember people asking about different things being able to be used on the shell, like coconut oil for example and it was always recommended to not put on growth lines.
Maybe I can get @Zamric to let us know if he kept it off the grown lines. If he didn't, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks for sharing. I use coconut oil on mine about once every two weeks, or when I see the shine wearing off and it beginning to look dry again. I think it helps but I'm going to look into the stuff your using. Sheldons shell looks fantastic for being in an open table for a while. I would definitely say that stuff is helping.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thanks for sharing. I use coconut oil on mine about once every two weeks, or when I see the shine wearing off and it beginning to look dry again. I think it helps but I'm going to look into the stuff your using. Sheldons shell looks fantastic for being in an open table for a while. I would definitely say that stuff is helping.
No problem, thank you for taking the time to read it. I think I saw a pictures of Murphy when you had the coconut oil on him. His shell looks great with or without it. You really have done a fantastic job with him. Thank you again for the compliment about Sheldon.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I just remember people asking about different things being able to be used on the shell, like coconut oil for example and it was always recommended to not put on growth lines.
Maybe I can get @Zamric to let us know if he kept it off the grown lines. If he didn't, then it shouldn't be a problem.
That has definitely got me curious, I know I was not careful about it.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I was told not to use coconut oil on my redfoots shell because it could clog something???? Any thoughts or experiences anyone can share?
Many members on the forum use coconut oil on their torts shells with no ill effects. Rub a thin layer on the shell, let it sit for a minute and then rub off the excess.
If you do a search here on the forum for coconut oil you will find lots of threads about the subject.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought it was just the opposite. Only put it on the growth lines because that is where the moisturizing effect is needed? I think I can remember @Yvonne G explain how to apply coconut oil only between the scutes with a cue tip. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was told not to use coconut oil on my redfoots shell because it could clog something???? Any thoughts or experiences anyone can share?
That is a myth perpetuated by people who are reading stuff on the internet and parroting it. Anyone who has used products like this will tell you that it does no harm. No one saying how harmful it is can point to one single example of a real live tortoise that has actually been harmed by goop of any sort on their shell.

Mind you, I'm not advocating for or against these products or practices. I've seen cases like Jay's here where it really seems to have helped, and I've done my own experiments, where it didn't seem to help much if at all. Many experienced members here have shared positive results with these products.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought it was just the opposite. Only put it on the growth lines because that is where the moisturizing effect is needed? I think I can remember @Yvonne G explain how to apply coconut oil only between the scutes with a cue tip. Am I remembering this incorrectly?
@Yvonne G @Zamric i don't know which is right. I remember the opposite.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I’ve used Vitashell and I believe it and coconut oil are most beneficial to the photographer. Makeup for tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I noticed there's been a lot of talk lately about mvb's. I did a little experiment of my own, I'm just merely sharing the results. I don't have enough experience with tortoises, tortoise lighting, anything tortoise related to have a debate with anybody. This is my first tortoise. That's not the purpose of my post, I'm just merely sharing my own personal results. A little background for anyone who is not up to speed with my tortoise Sheldon. We got Sheldon when he was roughly three months old. He stayed the next two and a half years of his life with my ex, and the last 9 months with me. Up until 2 weeks ago Saturday, he was kept in an open top tortoise table. Lighting and heat consisted of 100W CHE, and two 125W Exo Terra MVB's. The temps under the CHE were 85-90, MVB's one was 95° and the other 100° on average, temps fluctuated a little bit with the varying room temperature. Everywhere else in the enclosure was at room temperature, which most of the winter was around 73 to 74°. That said, the majority of his day was spent huddling underneath his MVB, and at night huddling underneath his CHE. When I got him back from my ex, he showed the obvious signs of pyramiding, and a very dry shell. Then I found you guys, learned all about closed chambers, and panicked because I knew I wasn't doing a whole lot of anything right. I didn't have the money at the time, or the know-how to build a closed chamber. I did the daily soakings, I misted his shell down a few times a day, I kept the substrate dry with the fear of not being able to keep the entire enclosure at a controlled 80 degrees or above. I also started using that stuff called Nature's Zone Shell Saver which is kind of a glorified coconut oil marketed four turtles and tortoises. It claimed that it would keep the shell moistened, and keep it from drying out. I was desperate, so I've used that product since November. I've applied it once a week, every week up until 2 weeks ago when I finally got Sheldon into a closed chamber. I'm not here to advocate this product, definitely not here to advocate MVB's, and I definitely do not want to entice new members to follow the shortcuts that I was forced to take. If I could have had a closed chamber built immediately after getting Sheldon back, that is the route I would have taken. I like the idea of natural humidity inside a closed chamber, versus rubbing something that smells like lotion all over him. Back to my little experiment that I was talking about, I applied it to his entire shell the entire time. Starting in mid-January I continue to apply it everywhere with the exception of the bottom half of his lower back scutes. I wanted to see if they would look any different being exposed dry all the time to a MVB, compared to the rest of the shell that was being artificially moistened. Here are the pictures of my results, the majority of the shell to me looks like it grew relatively smooth, and looks relatively healthy. The parts of the shell in the last few pictures that were not exposed to artificial moisture,(sum did get on it sumtimes, but not alot) and exposed to the same MVB appear super dry, have had consistent peeling, and I believe they we're experiencing the desiccating effect you guys talk about. So I can only imagine what a MVB would have done to his entire shell. Just soaking, and spraying the shell down alone without anything else, I think his shell would be in very rough shape right now from his MVB. Anyways, I had just joked with somebody the other day about writing a 2000 word essay, and now I just wrote one. Once again, I'm not trying to prove anything, advocate anyting, just sharing my own personal results. If you made it all the way through, thank you for reading.

Thanks for sharing this info. I think your experience will help other tortoise keepers make decisions about how they might want to care for their tortoises. This is a great post.