basking bulb brand recommendation

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Wanting to reduce some heat in my closed chamber for spring. Have been using 2 - Zoo Med PowerSun MVB 100 watt - readings are at 95 degrees directly under. One on each end of my chamber with a che in the center if needed. Used this through the fall but now that its warming up have been wanting to reduce some heat in the closed chamber and was thinking about using 2 - Zoo Med Repti Basking Bulbs 100 watt (not mvbs).
Has anyone used these bulbs? Found them on amazon 2-$11.99.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would just stop using two.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wanting to reduce some heat in my closed chamber for spring. Have been using 2 - Zoo Med PowerSun MVB 100 watt - readings are at 95 degrees directly under. One on each end of my chamber with a che in the center if needed. Used this through the fall but now that its warming up have been wanting to reduce some heat in the closed chamber and was thinking about using 2 - Zoo Med Repti Basking Bulbs 100 watt (not mvbs).
Has anyone used these bulbs? Found them on amazon 2-$11.99.

I agree with Yvonne. You should only need one bulb on one side. Russians need a gradient with one side of the enclosure cooler than the other. And unless you house drops below 60 degrees at night, you really shouldn't need the CHE either.

I would not use those ZooMed bulbs either. They are over priced and unnecessary. They are probably a "spot" bulb too and that is no good for tortoises as it concentrates too much desiccating heat in one small area. Your MVBs are flood bulbs, not spots. I just use 65 watt regular incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store. If you need UVB indoors because your tortoise doesn't get outside often enough, then I like to use the long Arcadia florescent tubes. These tubes do a good job of lighting up the enclosure too.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
The reason i have 2 mvbs one on each side is that i have a divider in the center of the 8x4 chamber. One side is the russian and the other is the hermann that is their homes during fall.. Each side i used mvbs for heat as well but since its getting warmer now i was thinking to take out the mvbs. As soon as we get warmer they'll b moving to their outdoor separate enclosures. Im getting the 65watt floodlights but is led ok?