Mercury Vapor Bulb

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
I am currently using a ZooMed Powersun 100 watt MVB, however, the temps in my closed chamber are getting to high using this bulb (103 deg directly under the light, 90 deg on the cool side, and 92 deg is the ambient temp). I did a little bit of research and found out that a company called Mega-Ray makes a 70 watt MVB (I have attached a pic). The idea is to go with a lower wattage MVB to bring the ambient temperature down in the chamber. All of the reviews I have read have been very good. I am just curious if anyone has had an experience with this bulb? Because before now, I did not think they made any lower wattage bulbs than 100 W. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• MVB.jpg
    MVB.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
MVBs overheat my large closed chambers, but the temp in your closed chamber sound prefect for any tropical species. What species are you housing in there?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I only use the mega - ray brand, works well for me. The exotic pet store near me says they are "better" than the power sun in terms of longevity... But I think UV output is more of a per bulb thing and not so much a brand thing? At least once your in the more reputable brands.

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA
MVBs overheat my large closed chambers, but the temp in your closed chamber sound prefect for any tropical species. What species are you housing in there?

Sorry Tom, I should have mentioned that, it is a leopard tortoise.

AmandaGal

I am having the same problem, and I purchased the Mega Ray, just received it yesterday and tested it. Under the lamp is still 95-100, it was 100-105 before (which doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess the 25 watts doesn't make much difference). I give up. I tried a 60 watt flood lamp and it's nearly perfect, but no UVB. I'm actually going to see if I can find a smaller light fixture that can I mount higher up (I have the large domes, but I've seen the mini domes).

I should have built my enclosure at 40 inches tall instead of 30 :)

AmandaGal

Or maybe since Tom says it's fine, I'll just leave it alone. It's been in the 90s here. Maybe it will be awesomely perfect in the winter (my cool side is high 70s but I have a ceramic heat element too so it should stay consistent). I've already spent $100 on stupid lights (and I've had to other one too long to return it).

Last edited: