john from chicago

johnjoks

Hi I'm from Chicago looking to start with a sculata still need to get one I know it gets large but I got a big yard and plenty of time to care for him/her so any help is appriciated

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi John

Sulcatas can't hibernate and they grow into a 100lb+ bulldozer very quickly. You will need a lot of indoor space for half the year for a tortoise that you will find very difficult to lift and carry.

Please read the TFO guides below - you may decide that something smaller is more practical

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

johnjoks

what would you guys trcommend I was going to section off a part of basement for it only tin is size tat as me worried

johnjoks

What are your suggestions to get I want a large one but something I can handle by myself max about 70 lbs

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Leopard tortoises, Asian forest (Manouria) tortoises, and yellow footed tortoises are big, but not as big as a Sulcata and they also aren't destructive like a Sulcata. You may want to look at those species too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He works during the week, and then usually takes his wife out sight seeing on the week-ends. He'll contact you.

johnjoks

I hope so I want one of the leopards I got my heart set on one now ;looks like the perfect tortoise for me little s,aller then sculata and better temperment