Izzy's Playground

Izzy's keeper

DSCF1718.JPG DSCF1725.JPG DSCF1724.JPG Well it took 8 hours today but, Izzy's playground is almost complete. I have the seed mix from Carolina Pet to plant yet, and need to finish leveling and burying the water dish. Izz will be spending his days outside and his nights indoors. There are 12 by 12 inch pavers buried under the dirt around the inside perimeter, and the cap at the top is 3 inches. I put some timothy hay in the corner hide. If this is not a good idea let me know and I can easily change it. Please feel free to give any advice as to what may need changed or added.

Attachments

• DSCF1715.JPG
    DSCF1715.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 18

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
That looks so nice! I recently built my RT an outdoor enclosure, and was wondering if I should leave him out. Do you always bring Izzy in, or does she stay sometimes?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I like it. Looks like a big space. Heavily planting it will make it that much better ;)

You could fill the house with dry fallen leaves. I've had hay mold but never the leaves.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Wow I love it, I want one!! I really like the hide in the corner, hood idea. Izzy is a lucky tortoise

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Very nice! Are you planning to cover it with hard cloth? If not, you may want to build a predator proof box for her to be locked into at night. Raccoons are a very serious threat to your shelled friends, as well as other animals. Sadly, I know this first hand. Otherwise I think it looks great! (Also, you might need to put wire underneath it (I dig down a few inches, lay the wire and then add the substrate) to keep predators from digging in. I also use timothy hay inside my locked box. They love to dig into it and it's easy to change when it gets soiled. Hope that was helpful!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Kimber_lee are correct. Unless you kept Izzy indoor at night. It is a very enclosure I have to say.

Izzy's keeper

We will be putting a hinged top on it made with hardware cloth. Izzy sleeps inside at night but I would still feel safer with it covered. We need to make a divider so I can plant my seed mix and keep him away from it until it grows. I already have some of the seed mix planted in containers and that is what he eats now.