Kameya Playground

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
Is that a baby ivory sully? and also what are those bushes plant thingys in the inclosure? by the way nice inclosure i think the mario bros should be brought back. :)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Very nice! I love it, and I love your yard. I would love to live somewhere like that where the sun is always shinning.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I like the PVC frame cover. how have you secured that to the walls? (can't quite tell from the pic, or did you explain this earlier in the threads somwhere?).

kameya

10 Year Member!
Orange County, California
murdocjunior said:
Is that a baby ivory sully? and also what are those bushes plant thingys in the inclosure? :)

No, it's just a typical sulcata, I think the morning lighting made the shell color a little pale in the photo...I am not sure what the wild bushes plants are, I've asked around, but no one really knows, and I've got whole bunch of those in my yard...

lynnedit said:
I like the PVC frame cover. how have you secured that to the walls?

LOTS OF SHOE GOO...one of my secret DIY ingredient... ^_^

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Great enclosure, it's come along way since you first started it...

kameya

10 Year Member!
Kameya Villa Resident

Here are some photos of my 3-year-old sulcata...right now it is the only resident that lives in Kameya Villa...

sulcata2011-01.jpg

sulcata2011-02.jpg

sulcata2011-03.jpg

sulcata2011-04.jpg

sulcata2011-05.jpg

sulcata2011-06.jpg

sulcata2011-07.jpg

sulcata2011-08.jpg

sulcata2011-09.jpg

sulcata2011-10.jpg

sulcata2011-11.jpg

sulcata2011-12.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The tortoise is very beautiful. Now that you have been living and working with this enclosure, are there any things you would change about? Good ideas that just aren't as good as you thought or any that are working better then you expected?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I really love all your ideas. Would like to see a close up of your "tortoise crossing" sign. What do the other red signs say? I am going to steal your idea about the grass covered hide too. Do the grass roots coming through the top ever become a problem at all?

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
That looks like fun. I like that you appreciate PVC as much as I do. How did you secure the walls to keep from falling?
Thanks
Jessica

kameya

10 Year Member!
DesertGrandma said:
I really love all your ideas. Would like to see a close up of your "tortoise crossing" sign. What do the other red signs say? I am going to steal your idea about the grass covered hide too. Do the grass roots coming through the top ever become a problem at all?

tortoiseresort2011-20.jpg

About the grass roof, I've added a layer of padded foam underneath to keep the moisture and to prevent to roots going through...

FranklinTturtle said:
That looks like fun. I like that you appreciate PVC as much as I do. How did you secure the walls to keep from falling?

There are a few things I like about PVC for all my habitat projects...they are easy and inexpensive to get, and do not require any power tools to work with, I only invested in one pair of Pipe cutter to do all the cutting. And lastly, they can withstand most of the outdoor elements.

For the tile wall, I just sandwiched it between the existing cement slab and inner stone tiles.

Jacqui said:
The tortoise is very beautiful. Now that you have been living and working with this enclosure, are there any things you would change about? Good ideas that just aren't as good as you thought or any that are working better then you expected?

That's a good question...After gave some thought, I don't see any major issues with the current habitat design/layout. My sulcata is roaming all over the place through out the day, grazing as much as he likes on the small grass patches, and retreating back his shelter in the late afternoon and never comes out again until the next morning.

Every morning before I go to work, I will just survey the yard, and add new water the water dish. And about once a month, I will do some housekeeping works including grass trimming and cleaning work. Like I've always said, if you can plan for a good tortoise habitat, it really helps you saving a lot of time on caring for your tortoise down the road... ^_^

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very cute sign and good idea about the foam padding. Is your sulcata pretty much existing on what you have in your enclosure or do you supplement him other foods? I am trying to plant all the things for a balanced diet for my leopard so I won't have to feed too much "special" food, but it is a work in progress. Will be awhile before I can get it all producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.