IVORY SULCATA THREAD: Aladar's Babies! (ULTRA PHOTO HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Well if that's the case, it's a good thing because I go through ALOT of cactus over here!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Today's entry? Introduction to the kiddie pool! It's been too hot to allow them access to the yard per se. This is how I raised my first torts and there was NEVER a pyramiding issue. So, we're gonna see how it goes for a week or so! One hour in the AM and one in late afternoon...then back to the chambers! For the record...the pool is half in the sun...and half in the shade!

Left to Right: IT-2, IT-3, IT-1...all 2 3/8" and right around 50 grams
DSC_0234 (2).JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Here are a couple shots of IT-1 (awake) and IT-3 (asleep)! Couldn't get a good angle on IT-2...but he was tucked into the coir/bark with his head away from the camera! Daytime temps are 90ºF and 100% RH. Nighttime is still 100%RH but the temps drop to around 84ºF.

coir1.JPG coir2.JPG

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Have you changed the enclosure? I see your using coir instead of the previous edible substrate is why I ask

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yes, the new substrate is a brand new brick of eco-earth and a brand new brick of coconut bark. I have put together several micro biomes for them and they rotate each day, but at night, I keep them in the original enclosure, with the new substrate! I literally changed today! I am currently setting up another tote that will contain fresh chop, so that'll change out once or twice a week rather than daily!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I was wondering if they would take on this habit or not! Guess I got my answer...hold that gag relfex! :p
DSC_0167.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well...my rave about avoiding grocery items has taken a HUGE step forward! Met a nice couple today at the FARMER'S MARKET in old town Lancaster today...and they had some great greens...everything I use to supplement...except arugula. But, they're going to acquire that next (at my urging...literally, tomorrow)! Furthermore, they invited me to come pick what I want (within reason)...when I want...they're ONLY 20 minutes away...so YAY! Today, I walked off with a HUGE head of endive...an even bigger head of escarole...and a softball-sized radicchio. $4 for all three! That would run about $11 or $12 in the supermarket...they even threw in a produce bag! This stuff will keep a week...if it lasts that long! ;) You can see the ITs hate it :p

DSC_0289.JPG DSC_0301.JPG DSC_0304.JPG DSC_0305.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Here's a handful of shots from this morning's banquet...Mazuri and cactus blooms! BTW...nothing wrong with the ITs...the coir seems to stain them a little!

Love IT-1 doing a balancing act on a piece of Mazuri while nabbing another!
DSC_0315.JPG

IT-3 loves both...but will take a cactus bloom any day!
DSC_0323.JPG

IT-2 could care less for the Mazuri...but will go to great lengths for cactus flowers!
DSC_0326.JPG

IT-3 and her own take on a wrap!
DSC_0333.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
So...the ITs were out and about by 8AM...only 90ºF at that point. We've got IT-1 and IT-3 taking to the Mazuri immediately, while IT-2, who could give two sh**s about Mazuri, takes the opportunity to cruise the yard...the following two shots were taken from the exact same spot...I just turned around to shoot IT-2...
DSC_0335.JPG DSC_0337.JPG

After a few more hours back in their chambers, I brought them out to the cactus garden for some fresh-chopped cactus...and some new growth pads for their disposal...
DSC_0339.JPG

IT-1 seems more interested in what IT-2 is doing than the feast...
DSC_0343.JPG
and who wouldn't be? I never get tired of watching torts do anything with their hind legs splayed out!
DSC_0345.JPG
IT-3 won't be bothered...nom! nom! nom!
DSC_0341.JPG
...then he took a gander at IT-2...and I had to catch this one! I wish I hadn't chosen this moment to go put my camera away...because when I cam back, IT-3 was asleep in this exact same position...
DSC_0346.JPG

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Simply stunning! ......love these guys ..........

Kim444

5 Year Member
Do those 3 little guys eat that entire pile of chopped cactus?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Do those 3 little guys eat that entire pile of chopped cactus?
Nah! I chop about 3 or 4 pads worth! I give them the whole pile for an hour or so! What's left goes to the Sudans...and they polish it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.