I've tried everything, my tortoise is terrified

Paisley

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hello, my name is Paisley and I am new to this forum. I have had my Russian Tortoise for almost a year now and she still isn't used to me. I feel like I try everything. She has an appropriate sized cage, great heat lamps and basking areas, places to hide, and is fed every day her favorite food. I even change up her food options ever so often. I still feel like she never adjusts to me. She is terrified of anything that moves, and I don't know what to do. I got her from the pet store, (I KNOW THAT IS THE FIRST GIANT RED FLAG so I already know that is a main issue, but its too late now to change that. I have her, and I have to deal with her! :p) I try to take her outside a decent amount, to get her used to the outdoors and take in the natural sunlight. She HATES being carried. I've tried holding her close, carrying her in a shoe box, and she still freaks out. I've given her a few lukewarm baths in a shallow tub and she seems so stressed and scared. When I take her out of her cage, she won't eat for the next 2 days because she is too afraid to come out of hiding. She basks under the heat/daylight bulb for 2 or so hours, but other than that, she hides under her tree bark tunnel or in her burrowing corner. I talk in a gentle voice to her and I move slowly. I try to interact with her every day, and I take baby steps. If I have to stick my hand in her cage, I move slowly and approach her from behind. She never lets me touch her or else she runs to hide. Nothing improves. It makes me extremely sad and everything I read online says how much their tortoise is comfortable and happy.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm feeling hopeless, and don't know what to do :( It makes me very upset to see how scared she is and I want her to love me. How much longer will this go on? What can I do to make her like me that I haven't already tried?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gentle frequent handling. For some reason the tortoise doesn't feel safe. Is the habitat an appropriate size for the species? Maybe if you post a picture of the enclosure we can offer better advice.

You're never going to get 'love' from a tortoise. The only thing you can hope for is that it doesn't hide in its shell when it sees you coming and maybe looks to you for food. That's about it.

Minos90

San Diego
Try hand feeding your tortoise. That helps building trust. I have a Russian tortoise too that was very scared of me but I have fed him and month later he's not scared of me.