Help!! Russian Tortoise scared ??

kait hoffman

Location (City and/or State)
Grapeville Pennsylvania
i recently bought my Russian tortoise, Pippa. I bought her at a reptile expo, they kept her in a very small container and I felt so horrible. I’ve been wanting a tortoise for a long time. Since I got her, she seems to be hiding away and sleeping. She burrowed into her bedding yesterday and is pretty adamant about being in her tank. Today, I pulled her out to try to feed her and she doesn’t seem interested. The guy I purchased her from said he feeds her in a different container than her enclosure, so I tried that. I’ve literally tried everything. I tried feeding her in her enclosure, out in the open, in a seperate container, and I’ve tried kale, squash, grapes, collared greens, turtle food off the shelf, everything!! She seems to be scared and nervous I’m not sure what to do. Maybe it’s just too stressful ?? Help!!

Melis

Maryland
Welcome!
First, have you read our care sheets pinned at the top of the Russian section? That will be a good place to start to ensure you are providing everything he needs. How old is your little one? What are the temps of your enclosure? What are you using for lighting and heating? How large is the enclosure? Pictures of your enclosure will help as well.

It takes a bit for them to get used to a new space. What was the previous owner feeding it? They can be stubborn to try different food.

Please have a look at those links and provide pics so we can better help you!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Goodness! Any tortoise in a new enclosure is take time to feel safe. Give her some time and space (even though I know you’ll want to check on her every minute, she needs some privacy).

I wouldn’t pull her out to feed; I’ve never heard of that before, actually. At least not for someone with only one tortoise.

Take a look at the care sheet as mentioned. Proper setup is much more important than diet at this point. Tortoises aren’t like us or other mammals; they can go a long time without eating and be just fine. So let’s be sure she gets the right amount of space, lighting, temps and such.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
i recently bought my Russian tortoise, Pippa. I bought her at a reptile expo, they kept her in a very small container and I felt so horrible. I’ve been wanting a tortoise for a long time. Since I got her, she seems to be hiding away and sleeping. She burrowed into her bedding yesterday and is pretty adamant about being in her tank. Today, I pulled her out to try to feed her and she doesn’t seem interested. The guy I purchased her from said he feeds her in a different container than her enclosure, so I tried that. I’ve literally tried everything. I tried feeding her in her enclosure, out in the open, in a seperate container, and I’ve tried kale, squash, grapes, collared greens, turtle food off the shelf, everything!! She seems to be scared and nervous I’m not sure what to do. Maybe it’s just too stressful ?? Help!!
Yes very scared and stressed. I know you are too! If you stand over them constantly...you might look like a big scary monster. So...put her in the enclosure, with foods and water, and watch from where she can't detect you. A little hiding area in the enclosure .it takes time to destress a tortoise. They move at a slower pace.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kait, and welcome to the Forum!

You've neglected to let us know the age of your new tortoise, Pippa. Babies are prey, so they naturally stay hidden most of the time. Plus, being in a new environment, Pippa doesn't feel safe. Now, I'm talking as if Pippa is a baby, if it's not, and is a full grown tortoise, then these musings are totally not applicable.

Take Pippa out and place (I'm going to use the male pronoun because males are more plentiful than females, and babies can't be sexually I.D.d) him in a shallow bowl of warm water. Leave him in there for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, prepare his daily food ration. " kale, squash, grapes, collared greens, turtle food off the shelf" are ok (without the grapes) as a part of a varied diet, but you really should use one or two of these as the basic diet - escarole, endive, turnip greens, edible weeds, etc. Then add your kale, etc to that basic. Place the feeding tile directly in front of the hiding place, put the baby in the hiding place, facing the food, and quickly step out of sight.

Your enclosure should include many, many sight barriers - these give the baby a feeling of safety, as he's not so out in the open.

During the day, your baby's enclosure must have UVB light, a basking spot of 95 degrees, a hot humid hide (always 80 degrees, using a CHE and a Hydrofarm thermostat). The temperature can drop slightly at night, but not any lower than about 75F degrees.

Have you read our care sheet? It's pinned at the top of our Russian section.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi Kait, and welcome to the Forum!

You've neglected to let us know the age of your new tortoise, Pippa. Babies are prey, so they naturally stay hidden most of the time. Plus, being in a new environment, Pippa doesn't feel safe. Now, I'm talking as if Pippa is a baby, if it's not, and is a full grown tortoise, then these musings are totally not applicable.

Take Pippa out and place (I'm going to use the male pronoun because males are more plentiful than females, and babies can't be sexually I.D.d) him in a shallow bowl of warm water. Leave him in there for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, prepare his daily food ration. " kale, squash, grapes, collared greens, turtle food off the shelf" are ok (without the grapes) as a part of a varied diet, but you really should use one or two of these as the basic diet - escarole, endive, turnip greens, edible weeds, etc. Then add your kale, etc to that basic. Place the feeding tile directly in front of the hiding place, put the baby in the hiding place, facing the food, and quickly step out of sight.

Your enclosure should include many, many sight barriers - these give the baby a feeling of safety, as he's not so out in the open.

During the day, your baby's enclosure must have UVB light, a basking spot of 95 degrees, a hot humid hide (always 80 degrees, using a CHE and a Hydrofarm thermostat). The temperature can drop slightly at night, but not any lower than about 75F degrees.

Have you read our care sheet? It's pinned at the top of our Russian section.
I can always be wrong but I think that in the US it is illegal to sell a turtle commercially that is under 5 inches. Tortoises are included.That adds a few years and that is great but I always love to see your advice...and what You think about a particular situation. Experience matters.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I can always be wrong but I think that in the US it is illegal to sell a turtle commercially that is under 5 inches. Tortoises are included.That adds a few years and that is great but I always love to see your advice...and what You think about a particular situation. Experience matters.

It’s 4 inches, and I think that only applies to pet stores or maybe people without the right permits. You can still buy a baby straight from a breeder :)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
When my Darwin, a redfoot, came to live with me, he spent the first weeks in his enclosure hiding and quite inactive.

I think that once he acclimated to the environment, and me, and our daily routine, he got more comfortable, and now I often see him cruising around the enclosure and eating the food I leave for him in there.

I soak him every day for half an hour in am underpot filled to about half an inch with warm water, and it stimulates him to hydrate (both through his skin and via drinking it through his mouth) and eating and pooping. When he poops during his soak, I scoop it out, but otherwise try not to disturb him. The food bowl is the only thing, besides him and the water, so he naturally heads over and eats.

I think if you give him the heat and humidity and safe space he needs, your tortoise will acclimate over time and thrive.

Good luck, make sure to read the care sheets and rely on the knowledgeable people here, and don't stress ... tortoises are relaxing (double entendre).

Jamie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It’s 4 inches, and I think that only applies to pet stores or maybe people without the right permits. You can still buy a baby straight from a breeder :)
Yes and a good law. I've actually seen 3 baby alligators for sale in a pet shop in Ohio. They were in an aquarium. My question was"are you gonna keep them in your bathtub...when they are 8 foot long...or build an indoor pond?"

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Yes and a good law. I've actually seen 3 baby alligators for sale in a pet shop in Ohio. They were in an aquarium. My question was"are you gonna keep them in your bathtub...when they are 8 foot long...or build an indoor pond?"
4 inches is good but, I have seen pet shops around me that have much smaller torts. They don’t always follow the rules

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Enjoy the quiet time. Soon you will have your hands full :)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
4 inches is good but, I have seen pet shops around me that have much smaller torts. They don’t always follow the rules
I have really mixed feelings about all of that. I would never want an animal not get a loving caring home and sometimes they do. Then sometimes they don't. But that is what happens in the wild also. Maybe that person cares enough that they try but aren't getting correct information and when they do it's judgemental. It's out there. It's what is happening.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I have really mixed feelings about all of that. I would never want an animal not get a loving caring home and sometimes they do. Then sometimes they don't. But that is what happens in the wild also. Maybe that person cares enough that they try but aren't getting correct information and when they do it's judgemental. It's out there. It's what is happening.
Ito would rather see them get a good home.

Amynicole

Dudley

Amynicole

Dudley
My young tortoise is so nervous I've had her since Feb this year, if I ever come in my room when she's out eating she stops eating then quickly goes back to her bed & at end of October she will be 1 i thought she would of grown out of it but I think this will always be her she was taken by a crow a few months ago tho i was so lucky to have her back healthy ❤

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ito would rather see them get a good home.
Me too. My tortoise is probably wild caught. He was probably not healthy in the wild. I don't like the pet trade but in the wild doesn't guarantee a long life either. So they're out there. Animals need our help.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My young tortoise is so nervous I've had her since Feb this year, if I ever come in my room when she's out eating she stops eating then quickly goes back to her bed & at end of October she will be 1 i thought she would of grown out of it but I think this will always be her she was taken by a crow a few months ago tho i was so lucky to have her back healthy ❤
I've had my Russian for 13 years and I still don't bother him if he's eating. There's lots of care sheets here so look at those. I don't know how to share those links but they have details on proper diet etc. But welcome to the forum and stick around. Russians shouldn't have fruit or turtle food though. They are vegetarian to the point of vegan. Leafy greens and weeds is the best. Good good luck ☺️