heeeelllllllppppp my tortoise is losing weight and is not eating

awesomecs

5 Year Member
but the thing is I don't think she can feel the heat but if I do put it down she might get burnt that's why I really need a thermometer

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
A thermometer is your number one priority right now. Is the enclosure in an unheated room, like a garage? Is this a different location than previous winters?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
A thermometer is your number one priority right now. Is the enclosure in an unheated room, like a garage? Is this a different location than previous winters?
accully it is is the basement but my basement is warmer then the rest of the house and I was thinking of putting the lamp down a bit but I dint want to burn her or make her tooo cold

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
accully it is is the basement but my basement is warmer then the rest of the house and I was thinking of putting the lamp down a bit but I dint want to burn her or make her tooo cold

You can't position the lamp height without knowing the temperature down at shell height. Given how open your space is and your tortoise's behaviour change, I imagine she is too cold, but you'll need a thermometer to confirm.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
You can't position the lamp height without knowing the temperature down at shell height. Given how open your space is and your tortoise's behaviour change, I imagine she is too cold, but you'll need a thermometer to confirm.
that's what I think too I have more than enough to get it just need to order online

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
that's what I think too I have more than enough to get it just need to order online
Maybe you should just go to a store and buy one asap as your tort maybe too cold and will become ill if you take too long about it.
How old is your tort?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
oh really? nice oh and I thought that was a thermometer and im getting a incubator what container do I use just asking not planning to breed her until next year
To be honest I wouldn't even start breeding until you get to grips with the basics of looking after one tort. It is a huge responsibility bringing lots of little babies into the world and caring for them. It takes a lot of extra care and equipment and heat - so higher bills etc. and time. So I would politely suggest you learn to walk before you can run. You are very young so there is plenty of time and you need to be able to provide the correct care and equipment for the one you have first.

I have had my tort for about 18 months and had to learn from scratch but I am still learning and wouldn't dream of breeding until I have much greater experience and knowledge.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Maybe you should just go to a store and buy one asap as your tort maybe too cold and will become ill if you take too long about it.
How old is your tort?
no idea I got her from PetSmart and thy did not know se is 4 inches and she only is active and moves when I put her outside so I think she is too cold

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
no idea I got her from PetSmart and thy did not know se is 4 inches and she only is active and moves when I put her outside so I think she is too cold
She is still just a baby and needs to be kept warm or you will be needing a good herp vet and a lot of money for meds. So it is important you get your temps right asap as there is not much room for error with babies.
too cold + humidity = sick tort
right temps +humidity = healthy tort
too hot = overheating and possible death
I don't know where you live but I think the ground temps have to be abut 70'F to be warm enough for time outside. That is where a digital temp gun is great for outdoor and indoor use (about 10$ in places like Home Depot. Walmart or Lowes I believe) She is probably afraid when you first put her outside and running around looking for somewhere to hide from predators so make sure she is enclosed and has something to hide in until she becomes used to it and also needs shade if very hot and sunny. If you ever leave her unsupervised make sure your enclosure is covered to protect her from wildlife including birds that may think she is a tasty lunch. She should only have short times outside at her age.
At that size you may eventually find that she is he. My tort is about 11inches long and it is only this year his gender has become clear, but if it is a female I think it will be a couple of years before she is mature to breed so you will have plenty of time to learn all about the correct care for torts.

Last edited:

axeman25

Central Michigan
You've gotten a lot of good advise that you will hopefully follow. Have you gotten the thermometer yet? Your tort is still too small to breed viable eggs, they usually have to be around 6" or so. Please make sure that you can take care of the one you have before you bring more into this world. Honestly, hatchlings are harder to care for and it seemed to take a lot of people to tell you what needed to be done, and we don't even know if that's been done yet. Stick to one for now, please.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
You've gotten a lot of good advise that you will hopefully follow. Have you gotten the thermometer yet? Your tort is still too small to breed viable eggs, they usually have to be around 6" or so. Please make sure that you can take care of the one you have before you bring more into this world. Honestly, hatchlings are harder to care for and it seemed to take a lot of people to tell you what needed to be done, and we don't even know if that's been done yet. Stick to one for now, please.

I know I wasn't planning to breed her anytime soon I was thinking of doing it in 2019 but thanks everyone she is now happy thanks to your advice I will be updating on a different form for........ her birthday!

awesomecs

5 Year Member
ah I fell so at home with this fourm thanks guys I will be posting Christmas ... if its hot and her birthday soon