I've never had a turtle.. Help

SweetShadow

Hi there. My neighbor is moving and asked me if I would take his turtle. I love all animals, I currently have a cat and a squirrel so of course I said yes. He gave me the tank he had set up and some food stuff. I'd like to find out what kind of turtle it is so I can take care of it properly. I cant find anyIMG_20170501_133705.jpg IMG_20170501_133659.jpg IMG_20170501_133651.jpg thing that looks quite like it on the web. Thank you! I'll add some pictures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh my. Poor little thing. You're not going to find a picture of something that looks like that because it is badly deformed from poor care. Notice the curly nails. That's Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD).

It's hard for me to tell because he is so deformed, but I'm guessing it's a water turtle, either that or one of the cuora species. I'll send a shout-out to @Markw84 . He's pretty good at the I.D.s

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Markw84 - could it possibly be a 3 striped mud turtle?

e9l.jpg

SweetShadow

I really have no idea. From what he told me a kid found it and gave it to him he said 3-4years ago.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep watching this thread for more info. For now, place him into a shallow bowl of water (that he can't climb out of). He's probably very dehydrated. If it turns out he IS a water turtle, they have to be under water to eat, so it's a miracle he's still alive. Shame shame on your neighbor, but thank goodness he's in your hands now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really have no idea. From what he told me a kid found it and gave it to him he said 3-4years ago.

No, I was asking Markw84 if HE thought it was a mud turtle.

SweetShadow

He came with a shallow bowl/pool in his tank but he seems to prefer to stay on the dry part in a hidey hole cave thing

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You may not get a good answer for a few hours yet. Most of our members are probably still at work. Be patient, but keep checking back because we have some very experienced members here who are very willing to help you with your new family member.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He came with a shallow bowl/pool in his tank but he seems to prefer to stay on the dry part in a hidey hole cave thing

That's just because he's a baby and prey. They stay hidden a lot for their safety. Regardless if its the right place for them or not. The hidey hole cave thing is his safe spot.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like a badly deformed Malayan box turtle. Cuora amboinensis kamaroma

This turtle has severe metabolic bone disease. Almost certainly raised with no UVB and little calcium. Don't be confused by "box turtle" as they are much more aquatic than our US box turtles.

Stormy Bluu

Central Pennsylvania
Oh my goodness! That's so sad. How is his mobility? Is he able to extend his limbs and move about properly? I wonder if he stays on land because he has trouble swimming and moving about in the water.

SweetShadow

It seems like he moves fine. It can run pretty fast. I haven't tried to put it any water deep enough to swim in yet because I wasn't sure if he was a water turtle or not

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It seems like he moves fine. It can run pretty fast. I haven't tried to put it any water deep enough to swim in yet because I wasn't sure if he was a water turtle or not

You can take Mark's I.D. to the bank - semi aquatic land turtle. Read the link I gave you for the care sheet for your new turtle.