I've Got Wood Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Alright, so I finally got the two ornate wood turtles from the CL ad I mentioned in my ID thread. I got them yesterday (Saturday) morning. No pics yet as I don't want to disturb them too much as they acclimate, but rest assured they will be forthcoming. I especially want to figure out their sexes.

The enclosure they came with is 6' x 20", plexi, with a wood stand. It was in worse shape than I initially thought, so I completely disassembled it, cleaned it, reassembled and re-siliconed it.

As I was preparing their large enclosure I gave them a soak and then put them in a smaller temporary tote. They burrowed in immediately. Later in the evening, around 9:00, they became quite active, exploring the space, climbing, etc. I moved them into the bigger enclosure late in the evening and they burrowed in for the night around midnight.

So far they have not eaten anything. The first day I offered them kale, collards, banana, and carrots. Today I offered kale, zucchini, and apple. I chopped everything up into pretty small pieces and mixed with small bits of regular (iceberg) lettuce as well, since that is what they were fed frequently by their previous owners. They showed no interest. In fact they haven't really done anything today. :(

On the up side, they are no longer huddling under their heat lamp and their shells are already looking somewhat better. When I saw them initially they looked extremely dry.

Right now I have a couple lights in the enclosure to get the temps up. It has been in the mid 70s, with a warmer spot in the low 80s. I need to get a higher wattage bulb for the warmer spot to get it up higher. Will do that tomorrow.

I have two thirds of the top covered to try to keep in humidity, though I am still struggling with that a bit. It has ranged from 45-70%. I know with many tortoises we aim to get the humidity up without getting the substrate (I'm using coco-coir) too wet. Is that less of a concern with wood turtles since they are semi-aquatic? Right now my misting attempts seem to be getting everything wet, but not necessarily raising the humidity of the air as much as I'd like. Should I raise the overall temp?

I aim to get pics up tomorrow of the enclosure and the turtles.

Travis

Jerseynox

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
se michigan
worms, worms and more worms & grapes, river shrimp
mine likes to submerge itself water alot, i keep 1 of those disposable turkey roaster pans in her setup

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Got a forest turtle/tortoise that won't eat? Worms, worms and more worms :)

I would try some mushroom as well, and butternut squash. Those are my three magic foods :)

travisgn

5 Year Member
I haven't found a lot of info on this species online. What I have found says that greens, veggies, and fruits should make up 80% of their diet, with the rest being worms and other protein sources. Other sources suggest more protein and less veggies, though, or simply say to treat them the same as box turtles.

The previous owners said that they steadfastly refused to eat crickets, and mostly ate lettuce and carrots. I will try worms to get them going. And mushrooms. It has only been two days, I'm not overly concerned about them not eating just yet. I'm more concerned about getting the humidity/temps right.

I know in a long post things can get missed, so forgive me for repeating one of my questions: Do I need to be as concerned about having the substrate too wet as I would with a tortoise? Or are wood turtles more tolerant of wet conditions considering their natural environment and that they are semi-aquatic?

I am considering finding another forum, as well, that perhaps has a larger community of people who actually keep this species. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not sure who here actually has them, other than jersey. And to anyone who does keep them - would you mind me PMing you with particular questions as I continue to learn about their care?

Thanks,
Travis

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am glad you decide to get them I would imagine a box turtle diet should be compatible for wood turtles.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Update:

Today I did some remodeling of the enclosure. Most notably I got a new water setup. I bought a nice size cat litter tray, about 17" x 22" x 7" tall. I put a ramp of rocks up to the "land" and after that it holds about 5 gallons of water. I also bought one of those waterfall type filters. They LOVE it. They have barely spent any time out of the water for the last four hours except to explore a bit.

I would have had pics up today but my roommate is out of town for a couple days and he took his camera, which is what I always use. Once he's back, I'll have pics for sure.

I offered them some mushrooms and some mixed melon today, topped with a few juicy night crawlers. They haven't touched any of it. I think they are more concerned with their new pool. Hopefully their appetite returns soon.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-caowood.htm
One of my favorite turtles. I am definitely having them soon. I can't wait to see pictures of yours. I had a friend who kept her's in an outdoor garden with a small pond, with her Eastern Boxies. She took the woods in for the Winter. They ate right along with the Eastern Boxies, but loved the pond, and would bury themselves in the leaf litter at night. They were beautiful.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I can't wait to see your woods! I was really tempted to get them at one point. My next acquisition will be ornate boxies, I love them so!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Have you tried mealworms yet? When I rescued my ornate boxie he was living on RAW hamburger meat. I was finally able to get him to eat the mealworms after a bit of tough love. It's totally GROSS to watch him eat them, but he loves them so! Rusty happy, tortie mom happy!! :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Torty Mom said:
Have you tried mealworms yet? When I rescued my ornate boxie he was living on RAW hamburger meat. I was finally able to get him to eat the mealworms after a bit of tough love. It's totally GROSS to watch him eat them, but he loves them so! Rusty happy, tortie mom happy!! :D

This is OT...sorry...but is your Ornate hibernating? I have to keep mine in for the Winter. She can't take the cold weather and her eyes get all puffy if I don't take her in before it gets cold.

travisgn

5 Year Member
I have not tried mealworms yet. I'm not sure where I can get them nearby but I will look around.

Two of the night crawlers are gone, so they were either eaten or slithered out of the saucer (which I doubt). So either each turtle ate one or one of the turtles ate both. Either way at least some feeding is going on. I can't tell if they sampled the mushrooms or melon, but I don't think so.

They are STILL in their new pond after almost 8 hours. If they got out to grab the night crawlers they did it fast - I've been in and out of the living room a fair amount checking on them and haven't seen them out of the water.

And thank you Terry for the link. One thing I noticed on it was the recommended water pH level of 5.2-6.0. Does anyone know how critical that is? I would definitely need an acid buffer to achieve that. My roommate has a couple aquariums, though, so I have a pH test kit at my disposal.

Oh, and one more question for jersey or any other keeper: I read online that ornate woods can be fed either in water or on land - which have you had more success with/which do they seem to prefer? Pros and Cons? Do you alternate between them? Feeding on land seems simpler and easier, but I am willing to mix it up.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Just wanted to congratulate you on your turtles I saw the original thread, now I'm anxious to see if they eat too... and hoping someone ate the nightcrawlers..

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have a picky eater too. She is a box turtle. Sometimes I put the worms where she can get them while she sits in the water. Also I try different fruits and veggies all the time. Oh and she likes garden snails and blueberries. Just some ideas. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have this type of turtle, but I have heard that they really do like to be in water. Here's something to try: Put a couple night crawlers in the water with the turtles and see if they go for them.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Doesn't look like anyone mentioned :) but it's perfectly fine to have the substrate damp to wet for them. Also the more cover you have for them the better they like it.

Danny

travisgn

5 Year Member
Doesn't look like anyone mentioned Smile but it's perfectly fine to have the substrate damp to wet for them. Also the more cover you have for them the better they like it.

Thanks, Danny.

And thanks to everyone else for the suggestions.

And now, PICTURES!

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Turtle #1:
IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Turtle #2:
IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

#1 is 4.5" and #2 is 5".

Thoughts on sex?

In the first picture you can see the lights on the left, and the fixture on the floor to the right I have over the middle for additional light and heat.

Should I consider a heater for the water?

I definitely will be adding additional hides/cover.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.