Its a sad, sad day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
there are no words to express my sorrow at your loss. I hope eggs are fertile and will bless you with her last gift. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
So very sorry to hear of your loss and the deep sadness you had this day :(

-JM

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry for your loss! Please don't blame yourself; your health was rightly your priority.
it's a very very sad accident, but it was NOT your fault.
I hope the eggs hatch for you.
remembering you in my prayers!

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Yvonne,
Sometimes we can do nothing, but wish things had gone differently. Being ill and having a massive group of dependants to care for is a lot for anyone to face.

We can't blame ourselves, when things, however bad, occur. It isnot as if you knew she was there, needing help, and left her. I live with 2 people and had a person coming in to feed the animals, while I was away from Wednesday to Saturday for an out of town funeral. Even with a full mist bottle placed on the enclosure and in spite of careful instructions, let alone that these people see me mist the torts at every feeding and a bedtime; I can home to a bone dry habitat, save for the water in the water dish. I was upset, but my babies were ok, so I moved on to feeling angry regarding the many wilted plants and other things that come second nature to me, but must be rocket science to most. Really? The plants is drooped and the soil dry, but applying water escapes you? I always end up feeling that when it comes to my hobby, no one can do like me and bad things wouldn't happen, if I were home to monitor more of be more attentive, when someone is ill or something is out of the norm...it's a human thing.

You are an excellent care-giver...attentive, experienced, and active in your role....stuff happens and it really isn't fair, but I hope you get well soon and see some babies hatch from the eggs she blessed you with.

I know your sense of loss too well and know the guilty pangs that rip at your heart...have a good cry, rest, rest, cry some more, and rest...it will all come easier with time and when you are feeling better with your health. You are in my thoughts.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Yvonne, I feel so bad for you. It is so hard to have something like this happen. It is especially hard when you raise them from babies. I know how you feel...because of my loss with Izzy. You were sick and it certainly wasn't your fault. Hugs......

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I'm speechless right now. I'm so very sorry. I really pray that some of those eggs make it to (hopefully) help ease the pain.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just wanted to let you all know how much your very generous outpourings of sympathy meant to me the last couple of days. It was extremely hard for me to dig a hole and bury that tortoise yesterday, but re-reading all your comments and expressions helped me quite a bit. I'll keep you all updated on the egg situation in the "nesting" thread.

Thanks again...it really meant a lot.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
will you come back a year from now and dig up her shell and display it? i did that with one of my box turtles. i love seeing her everyday.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I just saw this thread - sorry for the loss, what a bummer. I lost a 10" male leopard about 6 weeks ago that flipped over in the sun while we were at the San Diego show. We had my sister in law over there a few times each day checking things out, and on the 6PM check, she found him upside down and dead in the sun (in a grass area). I'm sure it was a heat on the belly thing, as it was something like 110 that day. We usually bring our females in while we're gone to prevent any risks like this or theft of them, but even a cage with 3-4 young males can get rowdy sometimes! This particular one was a breeding machine, and has some history of flipping over trying to mount other animals.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Death by mating? sounds harsh, I hope to hear a year from now "all of them hatched and they are beatiful, by the way if david wants one, he can buy one from me".

flone

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. That was not your fault. Wish you to be fine soon.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
My condolensces. It is difficult to bear the loss of a tortoise the likes of a Mep. I share your pain. Not too long ago, I lost an adult female under very similar circumstances. There are times, however, that no matter the devotion, accidents will happen.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I'm so so sorry! I can't believe I missed this thread until just now :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wow.. so sorry.. and for your issues as well.. we need a tort fairy to flutter thru our places when we tort keepers are under the weather....
get well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.