Sad Sad day

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
:( Niabi has passed away. She wasnt ill or anything, she was in perfect health. It was through my negligence that she is dead. I went away for 4 days and left all my torts at home with a neighbour popping in to feed them and water them every day. I fed them and bathed them all on the wednesday before we went. I got home the saturday evening late so i did not want to disturb the torts,The sunday morning i looked for them all and could not find Niabi, Then i saw her/him upside down, but it was to late she/he was dead. I have cried my tears but now iam fighting with my guilt, if only i had checked them saturday evening would niabi still be alive..If only i had told the neighbour to look for them and make sure they were ok.If only i hadnt gone away, so many if onlys. Did she suffer i hope she/he didnt but i know she/he must off. Prayer to itself for someone to find her or to right itself. Those last breaths, I should of been there.. I feel like a bad tort mum, I give people advise on how to best look after themand keep them happy and i cant even keep mine safe.. Has anyone had this happen to them and how did they manage their guilt?
R.I.P Niabi
Mommy loves you and misses you

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oh no Yvonne, I really can't describe how sorry I am, how sorry we are to hear about Niabi. It is not your fault, these things happen. I send our deepest condolences for little Niabi and to you, we are praying for you to get through this tough time. Healing hugs, Stace, Nick and Tallula

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry about little Niabi. I know when things like that happen we all go through the coulda' woulda' shoulda' phase. But when you have someone else taking care of your animals, someone who isn't invested in their well-being like you are, chances are pretty good that there's going to be an accident. I don't think there's anything you could have done differently. Don't beat yourself up over this. It wasn't your fault. And don't put human feelings on the little guy. Once he realized he couldn't get back over, he just resigned himself to his fate. They just seem to accept it.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, I am sorry for the loss of Niabi. Know that he/she is looking down on you saying "I love you too mum and I'm watching over you don't fret I'm in great hands." You did what all good mums do. You got a sitter for your torts when you went away and no one could ask for more. Most people have lives that include going away some time from home and some people leave their torts on their own. You had a sitter. Don't beat yourself up, this is not your fault.
Hugs to you.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
You are doing what you can by telling others about your accident. Maybe Niabi was sent here so you could better help educate and PREVENT things like this in the future. We may have lost one tort, but you could possibly save others thru education...
Do you know how it happened? Was she under the heat? Climbing?
Take care

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yvonne, I am so sorry to hear about your loss :( Stop beating your self up, it is not your fault, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little Niabi.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
So sorry Yvonne. Most of us have been where you are right now at one time or another. We all think ...we could have done this or we should have done that.....but it was just something that was meant to be. Be strong...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I am so sorry for your loss- I can't imagine how you must feel. I would be devastated.
You might have saved my Nelson's life though. He's at school with me and I'm going home (2 hours away) this weekend from Thursday evening to Sunday evening. I was going to have a friend stop by to feed him while I was gone, but now I'm definitely bringing him home.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
That is very very sad! So sorry. What type of substraight was he on? Did he have anything to grab? How old was he?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Katie i would be very happy to think that out of this another little tort will not have to suffer the same fate..If you do get someone to Tort-sit then make sure they physically see the torts every day and make sure they are ok.. Niabi was coming up to a about 8 months old, she/he had a mixture of top eco soil and and sand he had a couple of plants (cactus) and their little hut. They didnt have heating on as its still about 27º here during the day i was going to do the heating last weekend just for the evenings. I made sure that everything was buried so that nothing was on different levels so that this was almost impossible to happen. I found him/her at the side of the hut and cactus, I imagine that he/she thought climbing something would bed fun or maybe pickles might have knocked him/her over. Pickles is another baby tort of 1 or 2 years old.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
So sorry for your loss. That is such a fear of mine. The first place I go when I get up in the morning, get home at night from work and the last place before bed, is the tortoise room.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Oh I am so sorry! I worry about this whenever I leave my tort for a weekend.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I agree with everyone else...please don't blame yourself. For some unknown reason, it was his time to go.
Patsy

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
:( Oh Dear ~ such things are always so hard to take & anyone who has lost a tortie has beat themselves up with the "what if's" ~ But be positive; surely Niabi is in a better place, and already another had learned from your lesson, so it truly can be said that good has come from it. No more of those guilty feelings, GF ~

Peace & blessings,
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.