itchy shell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I have looked through the forum to see if this topic has. Come up before, and it has. But there was never an answer to it.
I have a 5-7 year old adopted Redfoot. All my temps, humidity, diet and exercise are good. He is out of his enclosure for 4-6 hours a day for exercise. I have noticed in the past that he likes his shell rubbed. Didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. 2 days ago i was soaking him and took a soft bristle toothbrush to his shell. He went crazy. Pushing up against it. Today, the same thing. I was drying him off with a towel. It does not matter where i touch his shell, he goes crazy. He will push. Almost like he is trying to tell you to scratch harder...anyone have any ideas?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I have no idea, but post a video! Seems interesting.

Sulcata (Dexter)
Russian (Ezek)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Cooper does this same thing when you rub/scratch his shell above his back legs. It's the funniest thing to do/watch. Looks like he is on speed and dancing the night away! Would really like to know exactly why they do that though.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
cemmons12 said:
Cooper does this same thing when you rub/scratch his shell above his back legs. It's the funniest thing to do/watch. Looks like he is on speed and dancing the night away! Would really like to know exactly why they do that though.

ITts not just his back, its his side, the top, the front, its everywhere...makes me wonder..do they have feeling in their shell?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
cemmons12 said:

Oh you so have to post video!

Life is good

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Good question, I really have no idea. I have never seen one that does it being rubbed just anywhere.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
mainey34 said:
ITts not just his back, its his side, the top, the front, its everywhere...makes me wonder..do they have feeling in their shell?

I read somewhere, though I forgot where, that they do have nerves in their shell so they do have feeling there. I'll have to find out where I read it at. It's either Madkins' site or one of Pendleton's books, I think.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Nerves in the shell? I thought it was keratin? I thought there were no nerves in the shell??? Please find out where you read that.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I might have to find out in the morning, but I'll find it!

"The sensory capability of the tortoise shell deserves mention; there are nerve endings and blood vessels in the bone and the layer of epithelial cells underlying the scutes. The shell is sensitive enough to detect changes in temperature. While it is not as sensitive as other parts of the body are, your Redfoot can feel your fingers when you touch its shell."

Source: "The Redfoot Manual: A Beginner's Guide to the Redfoot Tortoise" by Mike Pingleton

Hope this helps. Typing this in the dark on my phone was super challenging and/or sucked :D

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Mgridgaway that's hilarious! Really made me giggle after a long night shift x

prominent-beats

5 Year Member
California

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
pfara said:
I might have to find out in the morning, but I'll find it!

"The sensory capability of the tortoise shell deserves mention; there are nerve endings and blood vessels in the bone and the layer of epithelial cells underlying the scutes. The shell is sensitive enough to detect changes in temperature. While it is not as sensitive as other parts of the body are, your Redfoot can feel your fingers when you touch its shell."

Source: "The Redfoot Manual: A Beginner's Guide to the Redfoot Tortoise" by Mike Pingleton

Hope this helps. Typing this vin the dark on my phone was super challenging and/or sucked :D

That does make sense..but, i have some other things that might be tied into it. Im not sure..maybe im just parinoid...he is a rescue. So i dont know much of his background. He does have pyramiding. And. A very dry shell. Doesnt matter if i keep him in 95% humidity 24/7 or not. It is still dry. Ive noticed white growth inbetween his secutes. Its not marbling. Someone had suggested it was the keritin. Just some thoughts. Other then being dry he is healthy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Because it feels good.........is the reason that they do this jig....I have one of the redfoot torts here that love love love me to pet him.....however, there are also times that I have watched the two baby redfoots do this thing when one has bumped the other while walking past (not being aggressive but two torts meeting up in the same space).....the dance is on....so?

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
OM*G! I haven't laughed that hard in I don't know how long! Lawd bless the You Tube!
Heelarryous!

If you've ever seen a turtle skeleton though, you can see there's really not all that much keratin in the scutes covering the bones. Bones are sensitive, so, I guess the shell scratchy dance kinda makes sense?

wheezysmomma

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Wheezy is addicted to having his shell scratched I swear LOL!! I have Tons of video of us scratching his shell and he goes Nuts! I'd imagine if you were carrying your house around on your back with NO way of Ever itching it yourself you'd be Mighty itchy too LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.