Light height?

MrK_WMS

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I just got a new Arcadia ProT5 kit for my RF. I searched and searched, the only one I could find was 24W with a 12% bulb. How far should I put this over the substrate? The highest I could get it in the enclosure would be about 21".

Also, should I get a 6% (forest) bulb next time I replace the bulb?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
For redfoots 12% lamp should be positioned as high as you can put it - at 21" (if there is no mesh between lamp and substrate). Proper height measurement is done between the lamp and tortoise, so you have 18-19" actually.
You can use this link for hints: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/medium-uv-species/

Another thing besides height: red-foots are sometimes attributed to Fergusson zone 2 species and T5 lamps should be used without a reflector for this species. While I'm not totally sure that it's correct to place them in one group with yellow-footed (who are real shy shade dwellers), but for 12% type lamp it makes sense to remove the reflector.

I don't think you need to buy a Forest 6% lamp next time: you can use Desert and reduce the height gradually and add the reflector later. With 3-4 hours a day your Desert lamp should last for years. But (always a "but" here) - you need a Solarmeter 6.5 to check lamps UV output (eventually it will pay for itself by saving on lamp replacements).

MrK_WMS

Indiana
Hello!
For redfoots 12% lamp should be positioned as high as you can put it - at 21" (if there is no mesh between lamp and substrate). Proper height measurement is done between the lamp and tortoise, so you have 18-19" actually.
You can use this link for hints: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/medium-uv-species/

Another thing besides height: red-foots are sometimes attributed to Fergusson zone 2 species and T5 lamps should be used without a reflector for this species. While I'm not totally sure that it's correct to place them in one group with yellow-footed (who are real shy shade dwellers), but for 12% type lamp it makes sense to remove the reflector.

I don't think you need to buy a Forest 6% lamp next time: you can use Desert and reduce the height gradually and add the reflector later. With 3-4 hours a day your Desert lamp should last for years. But (always a "but" here) - you need a Solarmeter 6.5 to check lamps UV output (eventually it will pay for itself by saving on lamp replacements).
Would I be better off returning and getting a t8?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Would I be better off returning and getting a t8?
T8 give little of UVB and degrade quicker. It don't think it's a future proof option.

I would take off the reflector from a fixture and add some shade around the basking area (dense vegetation like ferns or spider plants work fine).

Most redfoots don't really bask under the lights (they do morning warm-up and then try to stay in the shade whenever possible, occasionaly going out). And because of their dark shell heat sources should be as mild as possible (it heats in minutes under the sun).

Last edited: