Is this sleeping position ok?

Pearl Patil

Location (City and/or State)
gujrat
Hi ... My star tort is being sleeping in a weird position which worrys me .... This is the same position in which my other star tort used to sleep when she had respiratory infection....now she is dead for 6 months...please tell if there is something of concern

Attachments

• IMG_20220321_152733.jpg
    IMG_20220321_152733.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220321_152741.jpg
    IMG_20220321_152741.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220321_152741.jpg
    IMG_20220321_152741.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
This looks normal to me. Tortoises can sleep in seemingly uncomfortable angles sometimes, I ended up in a panic recently because my tortoise was sleeping like he had broke his neck, woke him up when I picked him up to check if he was limp… Ruined his day.

Are there any worrying signs whilst you’re tortoise is awake? Wet, bubbling nose? Heavy breathing? Mouth open and neck stretched in an attempt to catch some air? Loss of weight, and appetite? Fatigue? If not then there shouldn’t anything to worry about, just make sure to keep an eye on your tortoise incase any of these symptoms surface.

Beautiful tortoise by the way :)

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Looks like you tortoise is living on your floor. Is that the case? If so that’s not good to many dangers and hard to keep the right temps. Low temps will cause the tortoise to get sick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should never be loose on the floor. It almost always results in death, injury or illness.

Here is the correct care info:

Pearl Patil

gujrat
He has started to sneeze these days... I am thinking it can be a cold... Is it something to be worried bout..

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
He has started to sneeze these days... I am thinking it can be a cold... Is it something to be worried bout..

“Are there any worrying signs whilst you’re tortoise is awake? Wet, bubbling nose? Heavy breathing? Mouth open and neck stretched in an attempt to catch some air? Loss of weight, and appetite? Fatigue?” - Can you answer these?

Check your tortoise’s nose and see if there is anything stuck inside, or blocking the nostrils. If so, soaking your tortoise should loosen this up. If the debris is on the outside, just quickly wipe it away. If it’s on the inside it should be flushed away by the tortoise drinking ( As they drink through their nose).

Are you keeping your tortoise in a suitable enclosure now? If so, are you able to tell us about the enclosure?
- What kind of enclosure do you have? (Open topped or enclosed)
- What are your daytime and nighttime temperatures?
- What is the % humidity?
- What substrate are you using?

If your tortoise is ill, this will give us an idea of what could’ve caused the illness so it can be prevented in the future.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Fix the surrounding. Like @Tom mentioned, you can't have them on the floor.

If you have a garden in your house, immediately shift them there. On the other hand, if you live in an apartment/flat with no garden, then you need to make an artificial one. As a starter, get some 1-2 inch deep soil plate and fill them with soil. Plant some grass into it. Please them at a location where you have good sunliht (like a balcony). Your tort needs to spend more time on earth soil. And it needs good access to sun light, daily. Water the soil and ensure that green grass grows on it. It will give your tort a slight bit of natural habitat.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Fix the surrounding. Like @Tom mentioned, you can't have them on the floor.

If you have a garden in your house, immediately shift them there. On the other hand, if you live in an apartment/flat with no garden, then you need to make an artificial one. As a starter, get some 1-2 inch deep soil plate and fill them with soil. Plant some grass into it. Please them at a location where you have good sunliht (like a balcony). Your tort needs to spend more time on earth soil. And it needs good access to sun light, daily. Water the soil and ensure that green grass grows on it. It will give your tort a slight bit of natural habitat.

Also, follow the information in this thread. It should have lots of localized information.