Is This Shell Rot?

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
I just got a 1 year old red foot tortoise! And I have been doing my research but I just can't tell if this is she'll rot, I have all the right temp, humidity, and lighting. But I just can tell I got her yesterday!
Her and her boyfriend Oliver at the HERPS expo in Louisville Texas.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461024868.882274.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461024885.773655.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I can't really tell if there is anything there to be concerned about. Can you take a closer photo? Congrats on the new lil redfoot!

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Maybe some close ups of suspicious areas? Clean off any substrate stuck to the plastron first to give a clearer view.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You know, when in doubt, applying some athletes foot cream will do no harm.
Put a small dab of it on the area. If it isn't fungus, no harm done and if it is, it will go away.
I purchase athletes foot cream and triple antibiotic ointment from the "dollar store" for my tortoise first aid kit. Same active ingredient and much cheaper.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is that moss covering the whole bottom of the enclosure or just the area we can see in the photo?
Damp moss through-out the whole enclosure would not be ideal. The tortoise needs to be able to dry off.
Remember, humid. Not wet.;)

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Yeah, you're gonna need athlete's foot cream anyway to prepare for possible future shell rot. I put some on any and all suspicious areas on my RF's shell since he came to me with extensive rot and we're going on 4 rot-free years. :)

The top of the shell just looks like mineral deposits to me, I've never dealt with rot on the top of the shell but I believe mineral deposits disappear when the shell is wet, rot stays.

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461083437.184233.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461083459.037378.jpg

Here's some more close ups and thanks for the athletes foot cream idea!! I will for sure use it. And what about the deposit on the top?

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
And no the orchid moss is dry on a side of the cage and damp on the other I spray it all about every other day is that right?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He looks great.
(He looks fine)
Some of us spray. I don't.
I made a closed chamber.
As long as you can provide the warmth and the correct humidity. Just do what you're doing.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Mineral deposits are completely harmless. It comes from the water you mist and soak him with. No need to do anything about it :)