is this shell rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargonshepard

5 Year Member
I bought this red foot from turtle and tortoise inc. I have had him for 2 weeks and he seems really healthy. I took him out for the first sunny warm day we had and I noticed some abnormal? patches on his shell. Another thing I noticed is it seems somebody carved a cross in one of his scutes. So I got two questions.
1. Is this shell rot?
2. Will the cross always be there?

I have added some photos.

Attachments

• 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 140

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It does look like either shell rot or a fungus. More experienced will be on soon. I would guess the cross will be there forever, but may fade with time and growth.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think the cross will stay not shure if it will fade-out. With time. And that does look like somethings going on there with the shell rot or fungus. I'm not for shure on that. But if you look in the red foot part of the forum at the top they tell you how to treat it. But I gave you a start there be more knowledgeable keepers to tell you for shure.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Shell Fungus, not Shell Rot. Do a search on Shell Fungus and you will find numerous threads on treating it.......

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
My red foot had a 'scar' that she eventually shed it away... But looks like fungus ... Best of luck... He'll/she'll be fine soon enough...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks like old damage to me too. Is it soft and or smells? Or is it hard like calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.